Thread: Best ways to Seven Stars or "Diamond in a Day" for Caesars properties around the US

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Long time radio listener.. first time poster. Thanks for the all the info Druff. I am going to cherokee soon, and will be playing video poker for the first time of my life going for diamond status. (and potentially getting a head start on seven stars). If i earn status now, how long will it last? I've studied the strategy a little (and will have it on my phone). Anything else a first time player should know?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Long time radio listener.. first time poster. Thanks for the all the info Druff. I am going to cherokee soon, and will be playing video poker for the first time of my life going for diamond status. (and potentially getting a head start on seven stars). If i earn status now, how long will it last? I've studied the strategy a little (and will have it on my phone). Anything else a first time player should know?
    Ari, glad to see you here.

You will have whichever status you earn until January 31, 2018.

However, if you wait until January 2017 to earn it, you will have it until January 31, 2019, so you might want to delay it if possible.

If you're going for Seven Stars, I would definitely wait until the beginning of the year before you start earning it, as your tier points go back to 0 on January 1 each year.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Just updated Indiana, Illinois, Atlantic City, Tahoe, and Vegas markets.

Please let me know if you see any inaccuracies, or have additional information.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I want to point something out to people looking to make Diamond or Seven Stars.

You might see the "expected loss" numbers and get wrongly excited.

"$230 for Diamond? Great! I had no idea I could get it so cheaply!"

But wait. That's the expected loss, but not the TYPICAL loss. Those are two different things.

This is because video poker is a high-variance game, and your success is usually hinged upon hitting royal flushes. If you don't hit one, you are going to lose quickly, barring an unusual run of luck with the other payouts.

Let me give you a quick example of what I mean.

Say that 10,000 people all put $100 in a pot, and a winner was picked at random. The winner would get $1,000,000. The losers would all get zero. So there would be 9,999 losers, and one winner.

The EXPECTED loss would be zero, because there would be zero house edge here -- all player money put in would be paid out. However, the TYPICAL loss would be $100 -- as 9,999 of the 10,000 people would experience that result.

So back to our video poker situation.

The royal flush accounts for about 2% of the payout in most games.

This means that a game which is 99.54% return becomes just 97.54% if you hit no royals. That's a huge difference.

You also aren't likely to play enough hands on the way to Diamond to hit a royal. Sometimes you will get lucky and do so, but most times you will not.

Even on the way to Seven Stars, you might not hit one. If you play only $5/credit 1-play machines, your chance of hitting at least one royal is only 39%! It's a higher chance if you do multiplay at lower denominations, but you get my point. For example, despite mostly doing multiplay in Lake Tahoe this year, I did not hit a royal on the way to Seven Stars! And yes, my results were pretty bad.

If you do not hit a royal on the way to Diamond, which you probably won't, you will lose an additional $1000 on average.

If you do not hit a royal on the way to Seven Stars, you will lose an additional $10,000 on average.

(These are not exact number, but approximate and very close.)

Above that, you can lose even more if you have worse-than-average luck at hitting the non-royal hands.

You should not be shocked if you lose $20,000 on the way to Seven Stars, or $3000 on the way to Diamond. So if you can't afford such losses, you shouldn't try to earn Diamond or Seven Stars. It's still gambling!

Thread Information