This thought came to me because of a post made by o: on Donkdown, so wanted to give credit where credit was due. Basically, my question is how did 2+2 become the de facto leader of internet poker message boards, especially given the ownership. I have never met either, but from reading about them over the years it seems:

1. Mason Malmuth is allegedly an unfriendly, unpersonable life nit that grinds low limit live poker
2. David Sklansky is allegedly a womanizer and sex freak, who has allegedly had seemingly inappropriate relationships with girls much younger than him (possibly minors? I am not sure the exact ages of the girls or the laws in Nevada), with 1 being mentally handicapped who lived with him several years (and may still be living with him). Additionally he seemed to play a pretty big role in the Brandy situation, yet all of this was seemingly swept under the rug, ignored and forgotten.

-Not exactly the resume one would assume would lead one to the top of the poker internet board world. In addition, Mason especially seems to run the board like a petty dictator and neither are that involved in any of the discussions, yet the site keeps getting bigger and bigger and they keep getting richer and richer.

-Aside from writing some poker theory works pre poker boom, neither has contributed very much to the world of poker or is noted as a good player at any form of poker. Yet their forum is far and away the top dog in town. I guess you can use the argument they were there first and rode the wave of momentum. However, Planet Poker was the first poker site and we see how much that helped them stand the test of time.

Druff, or anyone else that may have an opinion on how 2+2 managed to become the colossus it is and stand the test of time, given the less than impressive resume of its founders and owners?