Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attention nerds: Any idea what could be wrong with this site?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

The latter won't work for various reasons, including the fact that I go to secret locations and will want access.

I'm not so bothered about having it on 22 as long as I shut out repeated attempts from the same IP like above. There have not been any distributed hack attempts so I'm not worried.

I hadnt considered the secret locations factor, touche.

And yeah if youre locking out tumblers, thats another huge plus.

But the trend right now is distributed cracking through botnets, which we always see after a huge password database leak. A few thousand hosts hammering port 22 is going to result in other processes stacking up in the queue and generally shite performance.

Food for thought.

Migrating off port 22 is a fairly standard play right now.
    A whole different issue comes into play if you are on cable internet since a lot of time cable internet providers have dynamic ips.

If he doesn't have a static ip, it introduces another fun element.

Seems like what you said about at least a basic migration to a different port makes since.

Druff in WHM it is something like /etc/ssh/ssh_config or sshconfig or ssh-config you should be able to Vi in and change it....make sure you update your Firewall first.

Bronze
    Load Metric

The latter won't work for various reasons, including the fact that I go to secret locations and will want access.

I'm not so bothered about having it on 22 as long as I shut out repeated attempts from the same IP like above. There have not been any distributed hack attempts so I'm not worried.

But the trend right now is distributed cracking through botnets, which we always see after a huge password database leak. A few thousand hosts hammering port 22 is going to result in other processes stacking up in the queue and generally shite performance.

Food for thought.

i use openVPN and a dedicated IP address server to log in via ssh. if you want secure, this is how you do it.

Load Metric
    Are you running out of RAM easily and it's using swap? That can easily f things up.

Also it is annoying in the days of virtual servers. The pricks could have overloaded your current server (and even the one you move it over to) and you would never know.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterj View Post

Food for thought.

i use openVPN and a dedicated IP address server to log in via ssh. if you want secure, this is how you do it.

yeah im just working with whats on the table, but this is correct.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

PFA Radio Co-Host
    Load Metric
    Move ssh off of port 22 immediately. Like really serious there. Also consider locking down access to your home IP only.

It's fine to have ssh on port 22 if you implement the iptables mentioned above, and you have very good passwords for the accounts on the box.

Obviously disable root ssh access, and sudo instead... and then also don't have an obvious login like "admin" or other standard things that the botnets try by default.

These days, unless you're a high value target, you're mainly concerned about the random botnet / script scans, not about a determined hacker attempting to exploit your box.

Load Metric
    Only thing I can see that's wrong with this site would be a bunch of shitty posters.

& oh yeah, try what Daly said.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Do these problems coincide with Crackino's return to this forum? Just sayin.

Load Metric
    Yet to make sense of any post.

Yet I still read the whole thread..

Hardcore
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by khalwat View Post
    You need to dump them via mysqldump and restore/recreate them the same way. Make sure you delete the database using DROP DATABASE xxxxx; in mysql> to properly delete it, otherwise you'll have stale MYD, MYI, etc. files.
    Gonna do this tonight or tomorrow night. If you see PFA down, you know why.

I'll see how well it works, then I'll investigate other possible solutions. This one is the easiest but I think it might work.

PFA Radio Co-Host
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by khalwat View Post
    You need to dump them via mysqldump and restore/recreate them the same way. Make sure you delete the database using DROP DATABASE xxxxx; in mysql> to properly delete it, otherwise you'll have stale MYD, MYI, etc. files.
    Gonna do this tonight or tomorrow night. If you see PFA down, you know why.

I'll see how well it works, then I'll investigate other possible solutions. This one is the easiest but I think it might work.
    Cheat sheet for you:

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2008/09/...ing-mysqldump/

Thread Information