Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
I hope the Dodgers brick the Ohtani pursuit. Would be the best thing to possibly happen to them.

Their two big spends recently were relatively safe ones -- Mookie and Freddie. Mookie's contract might suck on the back end, but he should at least produce throughout most of it. Dude was #2 in MVP voting in 2023, and Freddie was #3, so you can't complain there, even with their playoff choking.

Ohtani is a disaster waiting to happen. Why is a 2-way player so exciting if he's going to cost the same as two excellent single-way players? And he does nothing to address the Dodgers' biggest 2024 need -- starting pitching.

How often did you watch the 2023 Dodgers and say, "Wow... if only they could hit better..."

The offense basically won them 100 games despite failpitching.

So what's the solution? More offense and the prayer that player can pitch well after a series of major injuries? Oooooooooooook.

Dodgers should let Ohtani walk, and not even consider always-injured Trout.

Focus on Yamamoto, who is young and might really be something special. Then try to cobble together some starters around him, maybe Jordan Montgomery.
I completely agree with you. (except Yamamoto)

I’m conflicted on the subject of Ohtani going to the Dodgers.

The Sanlmar that enjoys seeing the team annually ordained “best team in baseball” fail wants to see Ohtani signed to a $500m contract in LA.

The Sanlmar who has soaked in every moment appreciating the greatest player of my lifetime play wants Ohtani to go to a team that will go deep in the playoffs and cement Ohtani’s legacy forever. I’m sure he would crush the post season. The post season run needs to happen quickly for him too.

There ought to be a court ordered restraining order preventing the Dodgers pitching coaching staff within 500’ of his injured arm. It’s a human rights issue.

I don’t subscribe to the metric of needing a decade to somehow be important. Sadly, I don’t think Ohtani will last that long. That’s ok. I am still thunderstruck by Bo Jackson.

Ohtani is not going to the Braves. Would be spectacular but his salary would screw up every previous signing. He would be 2x Acuna, for instance. I think Albies would finally snap. Etc.