Thread: WPT Magazine cheats one of its writers, claims "check is processing" when outed on 2+2

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

WPT Magazine cheats one of its writers, claims "check is processing" when outed on 2+2

Embarrassing story for the Word Poker Tour (WPT).

It appears that the WPT Magazine (wptmag.com) is a separate company that is licensed by the WPT to be its official magazine.

There is a link to the WPT Magazine website from the official WPT site.

A writer known as "ZeroSum79" is owed about $2k for writing eight months worth of articles without being paid.

They promised him 200 British pounds (about $285) per article.

He has written 7 articles, over a period of 8 months, dating back to December, 2011.

They have not paid him.

ZeroSum79's real name is Greg. The guy he is dealing with at the WPT Magazine is Jon Young.

Here is the exchange back-and-forth since May:

May:

(Greg/ZeroSum79 had already written 5 articles at this point, and had not been paid.)

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSum79
    Jon,

Just curious if there was a delay in this payment? I got the
    impression that it would be happening soon but that was about two
    months ago. Do you have any insight or is it possible that something
    got messed up with the transfer?

Regards,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Young
    hi Greg,
    I've just been on holiday but will be back in the office tomorrow so i'll check and see. I do know that a new batch of payments is imminent, but not sure which issue the accounts dept are up to.
    Regards
    Jon

June:

(This time he wrote to both Jon Davis and Daniel Smyth, someone else he had been dealing with at the magazine...)

Hey Jon and Daniel,

Just curious if you have been able to track down what is going on with the payment situation and when you need the next article by. I have a new topic related to the bubble and equity that I am writing about which I think is a addition to what is understood about current bubble play theory. It will probably last 1-2 articles.

Regards,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Smyth
    Hi Greg,

I spoke to Jon today and he's been told a batch of payments will be processed in the next couple of days. You should then get a lump of money coming through.

I'll get Jon to update you on this further as that's more his domain but I'll get in touch with it as well.

If you're able to get another article to me ASAP that would be great. The end of this week/ start of next week would be really helpful.

More stuff on bubble theory would be really good, so I look forward to that.

Let me know if that's ok.

Thanks
    Dan

Notice how they are encouraging him to write more, despite not paying him for the over 6 months he had been working for them.

They still didn't pay him.

Last week, he sent this:

Any update on these PDF's? (Note to reader: For a while I was being given scanned digital copies of the articles monthly) Also I am not sure where we are at with another article but its been since January that I have been writing articles that were supposed to be paid with no payment. Could use an update so that we can figure out how to move forward.

Regards,
    Greg

They ignored that e-mail, and also ignored a second one that he sent.

Finally, he took his situation to 2+2.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/29...azine-1235138/

After some public shame, suddenly they claim they're "processing" his payment, which can only be described as obnoxious "check is in the mail" bullshit.

ZeroSum79 posted the following tonight:

I just received word from Jon (by email) that the invoices are currently processing. He has sent me a promise that I will be paid in the entirety for the work which I produced.

He also sent what I consider to be a sufficient apology about dropping the ball on getting me the information that would have helped set my expectations for the payment timeline to a more realistic level, and for continuing to commission work from me when the payment schedule was backed up.

Obviously in a situation like this there are multiple points of failure which may not all rest solely on him. Giving WPT/Jon the benefit of the doubt, it sounds like this was probably the case. I am happy that this looks like it will be resolved.

Regards,
    zero

I don't know if he's just giving them credit publicly so they really pay him, or if he is just way too forgiving.

It is clear to me that there was no "information" they could/would have given him that would have explained delaying paying him $2k for a period of 8 months.

He seems to believe that they are really "processing" the payment now (because promising that and failing to deliver would look even worse in the public eye), and I tend to agree.

Still, they only paid him because he publicly shamed them.

If you subscribe to WPT Magazine, I suggest you cancel your subscription from those crooks immediately. They don't deserve your money, and the WPT should disassociate themselves from it (and make good on the $2k if ZeroSum79 doesn't end up getting it).

Load Metric
    Mr Young made an ill-advised post in the 4 thread as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Young
    First of all, I’d like to just say that I do not think that it is appropriate to discuss commercial matters between two parties in an agreement nor post private and confidential emails between those parties in a public domain such as 2+2. The matter discussed here will be handled privately, as is normal with any standard business transaction. However, to put all your minds at rest, I can confirm we have contacted Greg Jones about the outstanding monies.

What I would like to comment on as well is that the author and several others on this forum have jumped to some pretty big conclusions with no actual evidence, which is pretty disappointing. My team and me at WPT Poker work very hard to produce the premier poker magazine on the market and unlike many other poker publications have never left a contributor invoice unpaid.

In addition, to suggest we may be approaching bankruptcy due to the late payment of an invoice does question the business understanding of the senior members of the 2+2 forum that have contributed to this thread. We are tasked with reporting on the good and bad of the industry but would not suggest similar of others in the poker industry without solid evidence to support such claims. I hope that in future those that contributed to these posts will show the same courtesy and professionalism to us and others.

Regards,
    Jon Young,
    Editor,
    WPT Poker
    http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...5&postcount=81

Dick.

Thread Information