Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chess with friends

Load Metric
    I was talking to a guy who said he legit went crazy obsessing over chess. It just consumed his life.

Diamond
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide King View Post
    I was talking to a guy who said he legit went crazy obsessing over chess. It just consumed his life.

I knew many who did the same with twinks.

Comments

Suicide King: I will always love you

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    effectively memorizing the standard openings and spending 10 minutes on middle/endgame basics will take you to a solid 1650 rating on the most popular chess sites, thats how important they are. particularly with blitz/bullet where youre under time pressure long before you hit middle game.

that said.

knowing a couple of common openings super intimately and having strong middle/endgame instincts is also the grounds for a solid 1650-1750 rating. but you'll never go higher, you cant evolve past that point really ratings-wise if you dont start to study the other opening books.

basically you can only beat very bad players if you fuck up an opening and they dont.

i studied under an excellent eastern euro IM for some time in my late 20s and was able to tread water at the 1700-1800 level but i knew, absolutely, that if i wanted to go a point beyond that, chess was going to utterly take over my life. i was already having chess dreams pretty much every single night and it was getting scary. so i bailed because if im going to get that fucking crazy about something it needed to be something profitable.

i still play and maintain about a 1750 rating for standard chess (24h+ per move), but my bullet/blitz rating can vary from 1350-1680 depending on my emotional disposition/ability to concentrate/general sense of life alignment. which is crazy fucking variance and underscores how much the game really demands in terms of mental acumen and conditioning.
    I love chess but the problems I have with it at a high level.

1. Top players have memorized almost every important game ever played.
    2. Chess is mistake dependent in a lot of ways.
    3. It requires way too many hours to get to a competitive level vs poker or a number of other games.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post
    effectively memorizing the standard openings and spending 10 minutes on middle/endgame basics will take you to a solid 1650 rating on the most popular chess sites, thats how important they are. particularly with blitz/bullet where youre under time pressure long before you hit middle game.

that said.

knowing a couple of common openings super intimately and having strong middle/endgame instincts is also the grounds for a solid 1650-1750 rating. but you'll never go higher, you cant evolve past that point really ratings-wise if you dont start to study the other opening books.

basically you can only beat very bad players if you fuck up an opening and they dont.

i studied under an excellent eastern euro IM for some time in my late 20s and was able to tread water at the 1700-1800 level but i knew, absolutely, that if i wanted to go a point beyond that, chess was going to utterly take over my life. i was already having chess dreams pretty much every single night and it was getting scary. so i bailed because if im going to get that fucking crazy about something it needed to be something profitable.

i still play and maintain about a 1750 rating for standard chess (24h+ per move), but my bullet/blitz rating can vary from 1350-1680 depending on my emotional disposition/ability to concentrate/general sense of life alignment. which is crazy fucking variance and underscores how much the game really demands in terms of mental acumen and conditioning.

3. It requires way too many hours to get to a competitive level vs poker or a number of other games.

There is no commonality between poker skills and chess skills. None.

seriously, none.

Becoming a top chess player is like becoming a top mathematician in terms of commitment and energy expenditure. Becoming a top poker player = lol i read a book, have a massive roll, and run above average. #sorrynotsorry.

There are people who are great at both but usually thats because they are ferociously bright.

As for mistakes/blunders... at mid-level chess, the man who pursues the least flawed moves wins.

At high level chess, the man who pursues the least flawed theory wins. So youre not entirely wrong. Not to say the masters dont make blunders but they are rare, you get the idea Im sure.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Between this and the "Hearthstone" thread, I have to ask: Do any of you sloppy, largesse, white, nerds play sports?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypt View Post
    Between this and the "Hearthstone" thread, I have to ask: Do any of you sloppy, largesse, white, nerds play sports?

Is telling your dad he needs to work through his lunch break because the urinals in the executive lounge are filthy considered a sport?

Comments

gimmick:

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

Is telling your dad he needs to work through his lunch break because the urinals in the executive lounge are filthy considered a sport?
    Oh look, another poster feigning wealth; mr. help desk IT support frontin like it's nobodies business yall.

Load Metric
    You have a point. Perhaps if I played sports the girls at alpha phi would pay more attention to me and recognize me for the supreme gentleman that I am

Comments

gimmick:

Load Metric
    I like you krypt, but you're crazy.

Comments

gimmick:

Load Metric
    perhaps it support was a bit harsh, but is an enterprise architect anymore admirable?

Load Metric

seriously, none.

Becoming a top chess player is like becoming a top mathematician in terms of commitment and energy expenditure. Becoming a top poker player = lol i read a book, have a massive roll, and run above average. #sorrynotsorry.

There are people who are great at both but usually thats because they are ferociously bright.

As for mistakes/blunders... at mid-level chess, the man who pursues the least flawed moves wins.

At high level chess, the man who pursues the least flawed theory wins. So youre not entirely wrong. Not to say the masters dont make blunders but they are rare, you get the idea Im sure.
    Poker is a game of probability. On a more advance level poker is a game of probability and how different people react given their knowledge based on a limited number of facts.

Chess all the facts are on the table, it creates a vastly different game.

Those are two vastly different skill sets which I think is what you are alluding to above.

Just because the average player (or even a very good player) at poker is far less skilled doesn't mean the game is less complicated than chess. It just means we are not as far a long the progression curve of the game.

Chess is like 700 years old in modern form.

Poker is like 150 years old in modern form.

Load Metric

seriously, none.

Poker is a game of probability. On a more advance level poker is a game of probability and how different people react given their knowledge based on a limited number of facts.

Chess all the facts are on the table, it creates a vastly different game.

Those are two vastly different skill sets which I think is what you are alluding to above.

Just because the average player (or even a very good player) at poker is far less skilled doesn't mean the game is less complicated than chess. It just means we are not as far a long the progression curve of the game.

Chess is like 700 years old in modern form.

Poker is like 150 years old in modern form.

Im just saying, poker is straight fucking retarded.

Chess, on the other hand, is basically Satan worship.

Load Metric
    its pretty much everything you people are talking about that deters the average person from wanting to play/learrn chess. It seems pretty stupid to just be able to memorize a million different moves to win a game. I feel like chance should always play a part, but the way you guys are talking is that you memorize moves/counter moves to be great. I get that it takes an absolute genius to be able to do that, but I'm sure you can see how that makes the avg person not want to play.

I don't play chess often, but I do know how. I would probably get pulverized by anyone who has a clue to what they're doing. I enjoy playing beginners because I've never invested an extra minute of my life into chess other than when sitting at a chess board. So I don't know anything about opening moves etc. I just know the horse makes Ls and the pointy guy goes diagonal. Protect your queen etc etc blah blah blah

That is all
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post
    its pretty much everything you people are talking about that deters the average person from wanting to play/learrn chess. It seems pretty stupid to just be able to memorize a million different moves to win a game. I feel like chance should always play a part, but the way you guys are talking is that you memorize moves/counter moves to be great. I get that it takes an absolute genius to be able to do that, but I'm sure you can see how that makes the avg person not want to play.

I don't play chess often, but I do know how. I would probably get pulverized by anyone who has a clue to what they're doing. I enjoy playing beginners because I've never invested an extra minute of my life into chess other than when sitting at a chess board. So I don't know anything about opening moves etc. I just know the horse makes Ls and the pointy guy goes diagonal. Protect your queen etc etc blah blah blah

That is all

average people should skip chess and pitch in to help krypt's dad with those urinals.

chess is for people with a natural drive to exercise certain parts of their brains. same with crypto wizards or math freaks.

ive never in my life met a pothead who legit cared about chess on any meaningful level; its not for lazy people, there are no shortcuts.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTIFIEDhomicide View Post

That is all

average people should skip chess and pitch in to help krypt's dad with those urinals.

chess is for people with a natural drive to exercise certain parts of their brains. same with crypto wizards or math freaks.

ive never in my life met a pothead who legit cared about chess on any meaningful level; its not for lazy people, there are no shortcuts.

not really sure how you have the audacity to even make such ridiculous statements. It's not for lazy people? No shortcuts? It's not running a marathon. You're literally sitting on your ass reading. Yes, it takes discipline, but not sure why you felt the need to throw the word lazy around. I guess I'm lazy in that I would rather focus my time elsewhere than sitting at a fucking chessboard to measure my braindick against some other nerd.

Lazy, GTFO of here with that high and mighty bullshit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    and yes i am speaking for the pot heads

Load Metric
    high and mighty?

kinda sounds like youve turned intellectual stagnancy into some sort of proletariat sacred cow.

ill be sure to tell all the braindick swinging nerds running hedge funds, plumbing the depths of organic chemistry, curing cancer, and taking us to the the moon that they fall short of your standards i guess?

Load Metric
    high and mighty?

kinda sounds like youve turned intellectual stagnancy into some sort of proletariat sacred cow.

ill be sure to tell all the braindick swinging nerds running hedge funds, plumbing the depths of organic chemistry, curing cancer, and taking us to the the moon that they fall short of your standards i guess?

please do, as I'm sure you know at least one person and have one more story to tell us about your personal experience in each field.

Calling peeople lazy because they don't dedicate their lives to being ranked in chess, simply because they were born without the math genius gene is fucking absurd.

Load Metric
    That I refer to them as people at all is a sorely undeserved kindness, you shiftless drug addict.

Thread Information