Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grammar debate. Very serious.

Plutonium Brittney Griner's Clit's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
    Try this one:
    https://bit.ly/Sheboon

Comments

Brittney Griner's Clit: Still worse... someone actually created a She Boon Pickens over there as well years and years ago.

Tell us how it made you feel.

I didn't care. I just think about things like having a whole school of Trout in my next life working for me as webcam FinDom mistresses. I'm thinking your niche could be with the rare but valuable rich black wimps. You would spend your day focusing on grammar and obviously racial humiliation. I'd provide you sluts living quarters plus food and water. Plus I'd only beat you when you deserve it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnP View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    No, you are overcomplicating things. It actually IS simple. The verb in a clause must match its subject. No more, no less.

Who is posting? Everyone. By rule (look it up if you like) everyone is treated as a singular pronoun. "is" is the verb, since it is singular.

The gif things are fun. Things =subject, gif is a modifier or part of the subject. Things ARE fun.
    My second post in the thread explains that I am of course aware that everyone is a singular collective. The problem for me arises with the adverb about and how that makes it a dependent clause that modifies a plural subject.

In this reworded sentence would you still use is and if so, why?

These gif things being posted about by everyone are so much fun.

You wouldn't because the adverb becomes more clear and the subject is obviously plural.
    my heart is sinking already knowing I'm going to spend way too much time later explaining things about active and passive voice, dependent and independent clauses, etc. Why couldn't you just have paid attention in English class in the first place? And yet, I can only blame myself for getting involved. There's a lesson here I need to learn at some point...

back later.

Comments

Brittney Griner's Clit: Crowe Diddly can also be ruled out from being a black man.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

My second post in the thread explains that I am of course aware that everyone is a singular collective. The problem for me arises with the adverb about and how that makes it a dependent clause that modifies a plural subject.

In this reworded sentence would you still use is and if so, why?

These gif things being posted about by everyone are so much fun.

You wouldn't because the adverb becomes more clear and the subject is obviously plural.
    my heart is sinking already knowing I'm going to spend way too much time later explaining things about active and passive voice, dependent and independent clauses, etc. Why couldn't you just have paid attention in English class in the first place? And yet, I can only blame myself for getting involved. There's a lesson here I need to learn at some point...

back later.
    You're okay with GIF things? That fucks everything up. GIF is an acronym and should be capitalized and things should not be in the sentence

Load Metric
    here's the question.
    Which is correct and why?

(A) "These Gif things that everyone IS posting about are so much fun..."

OR

(B) "These GIF things that everyone ARE posting about are so much fun.
    Neither, if you are also talking about the acronym GIF, which should be capitalized.

These GIF things, which everyone is posting about, are so much fun.

However, as we'll see below, its still awkward and could be written in many different ways, and probably should be. Also, lack of commas confuse the issue a bit.

I am 100% aware of "everyone" being a singular collective, and that "is", is almost always correct. But what are the "gif things" doing?
    The "GIF things" are not doing anything. "is" is from the verb "to be", which is a linking verb, and not an action verb. Forget about nouns and verbs for a minute, though, and think in terms of subject and predicate. That's what is important here.

Let's define clause. A clause contains a subject and a predicate. If a sentence is the main grouping or words we use in English, clauses are the next level down. Some are independent clauses, meaning they could very well stand on their own as a sentence, and some are dependent, or subordinate clauses, meaning they aren't really enough of a complete thought to make sense on its own. Both have subjects and predicates tho, that's the main thing to remember here. Also, since both clauses have subjects and predicates, there IS NO REASON FOR THE 2 CLAUSES TO HAVE THE SAME CASE, VOICE, NUMBER, OR ANY OF THAT. That's the crux, and that's where you seem to be getting fucked up.

Here's my first explanation.
    Forget about the sentence as a whole. The only thing that matters is the modifying clause "that everyone IS posting about". In that clause, 'everyone' is the subject. 'Everyone' is a singular pronoun. It gets IS, not ARE.

Answer is 100% A.
    This is oversimplification.

...Take this example and consider in the sentence in question that there are two subjects: The dog is being annoying. The cats are being annoying. Everyone is being annoying. -- combined: The dog, the cats, and everyone are being annoying. Do you not see how if you changed ARE to IS it would leave out the other nouns? Are the gif things not being posted about?
    EDITED CUZ I WAS WRONG: Now you are talking about something completely different. Now you have a sentence that's only a single clause, but with a compound subject. The rule there is completely different. Since you are adding up the subjects, yes indeed, the subject needs to be plural. You are correct, and thank you for correcting me. Keep in mind, tho, the original example has 2 clauses, none of which have compound subjects.
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post

Who is posting? Everyone is posting.

What is so much fun? GIFs are so much fun.

These GIF things that everyone IS posting about ARE so much fun...
    It can't be both though. If one is plural, they both have to be? I went through this step too.
    No, because they are separate clauses, there is no need at all for them to match. I explained this above. Srsly is correct, as he is throughout the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Should be "These GIFs that everyone are posting(not about) are so much fun."

GIF is correct not Gif but is should be GIFs, not GIF things
    Your first sentence is incorrect and awkward. At the very least, the part "everyone are posting" needs to be "everyone is posting". Why not go with something like "Everyone is posting such fun GIFs," or "Everyone is posting GIFs, and they're so much fun!" The sentences read better if I use the contraction "Everyone's." Everyone's posting such fun GIFs! Some shit like that.

Your second sentence, "GIF is correct not Gif but is should be GIFs, not GIF things", I totally agree with. Acronyms should be capitalized, and 'GIF things' sounds weird. Again, tho, it wasn't necessarily grammatically wrong.

Do you say these apple things are bruised? I hope not. These apples are bruised. Subject apples, plural....are.
    I wouldn't say that, no, but vaughn did, and that's the sentence we were working with.

Also, throw "that are" into the reworded sentence.
    No. No need.

You're okay with GIF things? That fucks everything up. GIF is an acronym and should be capitalized and things should not be in the sentence
    As above, I'd never say it, but it's not necessarily incorrect, just shitty-sounding.

Did I miss anything?

Comments

limitles: Ya you missed lunch Professor
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 10-30-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    here's the question.

Neither, if you are also talking about the acronym GIF, which should be capitalized. These GIF things that everyone is posting about are so much fun.

However, as we'll see below, its still awkward and could be written in many different ways, and probably should be.

I am 100% aware of "everyone" being a singular collective, and that "is", is almost always correct. But what are the "gif things" doing?
    The "GIF things" are not doing anything. "is" is from the verb "to be", which is a linking verb, and not an action verb. Forget about nouns and verbs for a minute, though, and think in terms of subject and predicate. That's what is important here.

Let's define clause. A clause contains a subject and a predicate. If a sentence is the main grouping or words we use in English, clauses are the next level down. Some are independent clauses, meaning they could very well stand on their own as a sentence, and some are dependent, or subordinate clauses, meaning they aren't really enough of a complete thought to make sense on its own. Both have subjects and predicates tho, that's the main thing to remember here. Also, since both clauses have subjects and predicates, there IS NO REASON FOR THEM TO HAVE THE SAME CASE, VOICE, NUMBER, OR ANY OF THAT. That's the crux, and that's where you seem to be getting fucked up.

Here's my first explanation.
    Forget about the sentence as a whole. The only thing that matters is the modifying clause "that everyone IS posting about". In that clause, 'everyone' is the subject. 'Everyone' is a singular pronoun. It gets IS, not ARE.

Answer is 100% A.

...Take this example and consider in the sentence in question that there are two subjects: The dog is being annoying. The cats are being annoying. Everyone is being annoying. -- combined: The dog, the cats, and everyone are being annoying. Do you not see how if you changed ARE to IS it would leave out the other nouns? Are the gif things not being posted about?
    Now you are talking about something completely different. Now you have a sentence that's only a single clause, but with a compound subject. The rule there is completely different. If all the subjects are singular, the verb would be the singular form. If all plural, then plural. As written, with singular and plural subjects, the default is to use the number of the subject closer to the verb. In that sentence as written, it would be grammatically correct to say "The dog, the cats, and everyone is being annoying." However, any good English teacher or editor would tell you that if it sounds awkward, it IS awkward, so write it a different way. How about "Everyone is being annoying, including the dogs and cats." When you are not sure of the grammar, or if it sound right but weird, write it some way else.

Who is posting? Everyone is posting.

What is so much fun? GIFs are so much fun.

These GIF things that everyone IS posting about ARE so much fun...
    It can't be both though. If one is plural, they both have to be? I went through this step too.
    No, because they are separate clauses, there is no need at all for them to match. I explained this above. Srsly is correct, as he is throughout the thread.

Should be "These GIFs that everyone are posting(not about) are so much fun."

GIF is correct not Gif but is should be GIFs, not GIF things
    Your first sentence is incorrect and awkward. At the very least, the part "everyone are posting" needs to be "everyone is posting". Why not go with something like "Everyone is posting such fun GIFs," or "Everyone is posting GIFs, and they're so much fun!" The sentences read better if I use the contraction "Everyone's." Everyone's posting such fun GIFs! Some shit like that.

Your second sentence, "GIF is correct not Gif but is should be GIFs, not GIF things", I totally agree with. Acronyms should be capitalized, and 'GIF things' sounds weird. Again, tho, it wasn't necessarily grammatically wrong.

Do you say these apple things are bruised? I hope not. These apples are bruised. Subject apples, plural....are.
    I wouldn't say that, no, but vaughn did, and that's the sentence we were working with.

Also, throw "that are" into the reworded sentence.
    No. No need.

As above, I'd never say it, but it's not necessarily incorrect, just shitty-sounding.

Did I miss anything?
    Let's simmer down here. I'm not reading a paper on the subject. The fact that things is in the sentence mucks it all up.
    I'm throwing this entire case out and hope you both get help down the line.... btw i think GIFs are doing something

Comments

SrslySirius: *facepalm*

Load Metric

Let's simmer down here. I'm not reading a paper on the subject. The fact that things is in the sentence mucks it all up.
    I'm throwing this entire case out and hope you both get help down the line.... btw i think GIFs are doing something
    shut up, garrett.

Comments

limitles: write a book on it

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Everyone are wrong and I is right.

/thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Limitles is only in this thread to lead you all to some point where he can interject something grammatically preferred in Canada but not U.S.A. And why the Canadian way is correct and far superior. 100 percent.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

shut up, garrett.
    obv a negative rep there bombastic book worm

Banned
    Load Metric
    shut up, garrett.
    When suffering from mental illness and substance abuse, there are understandably more pressing concerns than speaking the Queen's English.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    shut up, garrett.
    When suffering from mental illness and substance abuse, there are understandably more pressing concerns than speaking the Queen's English.
    Any day you you little ponce

Look back Ethel, I didn't write that crap in the first place. I wouldn't say GIF things as I know what a GIF is.

Load Metric
    Beat That Nigga Ass SrslySirius!!!

Load Metric
    He looks GIF horses in the mouth. He's also a bitch.

Comments

SrslySirius: fuckin horse apples m8

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    And everyone was not the intended subject

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

No, you are overcomplicating things. It actually IS simple. The verb in a clause must match its subject. No more, no less.

Who is posting? Everyone. By rule (look it up if you like) everyone is treated as a singular pronoun. "is" is the verb, since it is singular.

The gif things are fun. Things =subject, gif is a modifier or part of the subject. Things ARE fun.
    Because things shouldn't have been there it cannot be the subject. It can equal the subject but take out GIFs and what
    luck will you have conveying your story?

Load Metric

Because things shouldn't have been there it cannot be the subject. It can equal the subject but take out GIFs and what
    we agree that "GIF things" sounds shitty. I fucking said that. But its not grammatically incorrect. I already tried to tell you this but you don't like to read.

Comments

Brittney Griner's Clit: YES YES YES YES

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

we agree that "GIF things" sounds shitty. I fucking said that. But its not grammatically incorrect. I already tried to tell you this but you don't like to read.
    what about everyone being the subject?

Comments

Brittney Griner's Clit: One time can you make your father proud and just not suck all the cocks?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

It is grammatically incorrect and can lead some down the path of wrongitivity
    Last edited by limitles; 10-30-2017 at 02:56 PM. Reason: 5th edit, thinking of ways BGC will die

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Load Metric
    limitles are the people that have won fag of the year every year forever.

Thread Information