http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...6d4_story.html

He is going to spend a lot of money on anti-online-gambling ads.

“In my 15 years of working with him, I don’t think I have ever seen him this passionate about any issue,” said Andy Abboud, Adelson’s top political adviser.
So this 80-year-old codger is pretty much going to spend what remains of his life trying to thwart legalized online poker legistlation.

The PPA is calling for boycotts of Adelson-owned properties (such as Venetian), complaining on their Facebook pages, and reaching out to politicians via social media in order to combat this.

This is all useless.

I agree that this is likely to hurt the push for legalized US online poker, and that it's very frustrating to be an online poker player and see this.

Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do.

Adelson is doing this on principle, not really out of financial interest. Some theorize that he's afraid it will decimate his land-based business, but it's not about that. He just doesn't like online gambling.

Adelson does not care what you, I, or anyone thinks. He spent $100 million to support Mitt Romney, and did not care about potentially alienating half his customer base.

This is an 80-year-old guy with a ton of money, and he wants to spend it to push for his own ideology.

A boycott of Venetian is nice in principle (and I agree with it), but will do nothing to change the situation. Even if every pro and semi-pro poker player never set foot in Venetian again, it would account for only a tiny reduction in their bottom line.

The only way to really fight this is to respond in kind with opposing propaganda/ads, which unfortunately I don't think the PPA or any other poker entity is properly funded to do so.

Hopefully MGM, Caesars, and whoever else will put up some of their own cash to combat Adelson's efforts. But this is largely out of our hands at this point.