https://twitter.com/ToddWitteles/status/1734102898878116083

This has been an ongoing problem at poker rooms in California and Nevada, especially smaller ones.

They want the marketing benefit of a guarantee, but they don't want to have to actually pay the overlay money if they don't get enough entrants to naturally reach the guarantee amount.

Whenever I question poker room personnel about this, I get excuses like, "We are a small room. We can't take a hit like that, or we'll go under. We can't afford a gigantic overlay."

To that I respond, "Then don't run guarantee tournaments."

Reminds me of the Seinfeld bit about reservations at car rental companies, which are basically meaningless:

"You know how to post the guarantee... but you don't know how to PAY the guarantee.... and to me that's the most important part of a guarantee! Paying it!"

Props to Tony Burns -- for once an ethical Mr. Burns -- who not only wouldn't go along with this, but actually walked out on a company which asked him to be part of it.

Hopefully this will get enough attention on social media to where poker players stop accepting this crap. Unfortunately the Gaming Commissions in both California and Nevada either don't understand or don't care about these guarantee scams.