Thread: Serious question: Which version of "Cross My Heart" was best?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Serious question: Which version of "Cross My Heart" was best?

1988 saw the release of not one, not two, but THREE versions of the freestyle song "Cross My Heart".

As an innocent 16-year-old, I had a hard time figuring out which one was best. Even now being 26 years older and wiser, I am still facing the same dilemma.

I'll let the people decide.

THE ORIGINAL: Extended dance mix by British group "Eighth Wonder"... (you might want to skip about a minute in)

THE FIRST COVER: Martika, soon to be of "Toy Soldiers" fame does her own peppy version:

THE SECOND COVER: 12-year-old (!!) Tracie Spencer (winner of Star Search in 1986!) did her own more ethnic interpretation:

You might laugh, but this was the only time EVER that a song was released and had two mainstream cover versions in the same year.

I've gotta go with the Eighth Wonder version, though I think I'd like to trim out a lot of the extended dance mix. I'm too old to dance for 7 minutes straight now.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    MARTIKA FTW

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Most people had no idea that Martika's "Toy Soldiers" was about drug addiction.

Comments

Benford: 80's & 90's music: Emotional range and clarity that will never to be matched again. Savor the memories.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Most people had no idea that Martika's "Toy Soldiers" was about drug addiction.

I thought everyone knew this that actually is the right age to recall the song.

The first song, I only recall the first version. I always thought 87-89 were some of the worst years in music. Transitional period. There are a few exceptions,of course, but generally the end of bad hair metal and before a lot of great 90s bands that would emerge.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Not sure if you know this Druff but Patty Kensit was the lead in Eight Wonder (best version by far) and went on to star as Mel's hot girlfriend in Lethal Weapon 2. She was smoking hot and ended up marrying the lead singers of Big Audio Dynamite, Simple Minds and Oasis.

Name:  lethal-weapon-2-mel-gibson-patsy-kensit.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  81.4 KB

Comments

BCR: I recall the song, but didn't know this. She was gorgeous.

Benford: Hotness confirmed. ....and...Big Audio Dynamite/Simple Minds ...more good 80's music memories

Dan Druff: i knew her name but didn't realize she was the one in Lethal Weapon 2

Load Metric

You might laugh, but this was the only time EVER that a song was released and had two mainstream cover versions in the same year.
    Wrong. Google "Hide Your Heart".
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Walking Image Library
    Load Metric
    Someone needs to tell Druff that we need to start post restricting this OP 408mikestyle.

Name:  pok druff nude beach.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  78.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post

Crap. How did you even find that? I presume Google?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW speaking of Lethal Weapon 2, if the location of Riggs' (Mel Gibson) trailer seemed familiar to you, it probably was. It was the exact same location as Jim Rockford's trailer in Malibu, though the trailer itself was different. Rockford had been off the air for 9 years by that point, so the Rockford trailer had been dismantled. When the mid-1990s Rockford TV movies came out, they had a new trailer there, which was much upgraded (without explanation) from the 1970s Rockford trailer.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post

Crap. How did you even find that? I presume Google?
    Nope. I'm a KISS fan.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    Not sure if you know this Druff but Patty Kensit was the lead in Eight Wonder (best version by far) and went on to star as Mel's hot girlfriend in Lethal Weapon 2. She was smoking hot and ended up marrying the lead singers of Big Audio Dynamite, Simple Minds and Oasis.
    The lead singer of Simple Minds, Jim Kerr, also was married to Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders who was also an ex girlfriend of Ray Davies of The Kinks & had a child with him.

(•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Thread Information