Thread: Worlds Heaviest Drinking Countries - Map

Load Metric

Worlds Heaviest Drinking Countries - Map

Name:  WHO-map.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  233.1 KB

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...0-9357860.html

People in the UK are among the most prolific drinkers in the world, according to a report released by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

Britons over the age of 15 on average drink 11.6 litres of pure alcohol a year, according to the “Global status report on alcohol and health 2014”.
    The report provides country profiles for alcohol consumption in the 194 WHO member states, looking at the resulting impact on public health and policy responses.
    And it reveals that the harmful use of alcohol causes 3.3 million deaths a year worldwide.
    Europe is the region with the highest consumption of alcohol per person, making up the entire top 10.
    Belarus takes the top spot, with people on average drinking 17.5 litres of pure alcohol a year, followed by the Republic of Moldova where the figure is 16.8 litres and Lithuania at 15.4 litres.
    Australia and Canada also have high levels of alcohol consumption, with people on average drinking 12.2 and 10.2 litres a year respectively.
    In the United States the figure is marginally lower at 9.2 litres.
    But in northern Africa and the Middle East, the average figure is less than 2.5 litres of alcohol per person, with many countries having figures below one litre.
    The average figure globally is 6.2 litres of pure alcohol per person per year.
    But as less than half the world population (38.3 per cent) actually drinks alcohol, this means that those who do drink consume on average 17 litres of pure alcohol annually, the report said.
    The WHO warned that alcohol consumption increases the risk of developing more than 200 diseases, including liver cirrhosis and some cancers.
    Dr Oleg Chestnov, WHO assistant director-general for non-communicable diseases and mental health, said: “More needs to be done to protect populations from the negative health consequences of alcohol consumption.
    "The report clearly shows that there is no room for complacency when it comes to reducing the harmful use of alcohol.”
    The report also points out that a higher percentage of deaths among men than among women are from alcohol-related causes - 7.6 per cent of men's deaths and four per cent of women's deaths - though there is evidence that women may be more vulnerable to some alcohol-related health conditions compared to men.
    Dr Shekhar Saxena, director for mental health and substance abuse at WHO, said: “We found that worldwide about 16 per cent of drinkers engage in heavy episodic drinking - often referred to as 'binge-drinking' - which is the most harmful to health.
    "Lower-income groups are more affected by the social and health consequences of alcohol. They often lack quality health care and are less protected by functional family or community networks."
    The report also highlights the need for action by countries including national leadership to develop policies to reduce harmful use of alcohol, national awareness-raising activities and health services to deliver prevention and treatment services, in particular increasing prevention, treatment and care for patients and their families, and supporting initiatives for screening and brief interventions.
    The figures represent the average amount of pure alcohol consumed per capita in each country between 2008 and 2010. Here are the top 10:
    1. Belarus – 17.5 litres
    2. Republic of Moldova – 16.8 litres
    3. Lithuania – 15.4 litres
    4. Russian Federation – 15.1 litres
    5. Romania – 14.4 litres
    6. Ukraine – 13.9 litres
    7. Andorra – 13.8 litres
    8. Hungary – 13.3 litres
    9. Czech Republic and Slovakia – 13 litres
    10. Portugal – 12.9 litres
    Italy with all the wine drinking looks a little light to me.

Banned
    Load Metric
    You ever watch the Vice where they go looking for North Korean camps in Siberia?

Load Metric
    It is interesting that the Maroon countries (except for the few in Africa) are pretty heavy drinkers yet per capita have some of the longest lifespans in the world. Also surprised Italy isnt higher.

I personally prefer this study: http://content.time.com/time/magazin...017200,00.html

Drinking is amazing and makes this boring life more tolerable. You just dont want to do it Russian style with a bottle of vodka with every meal.
    :freelewfather

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    It is interesting that the Maroon countries (except for the few in Africa) are pretty heavy drinkers yet per capita have some of the longest lifespans in the world. Also surprised Italy isnt higher.

I personally prefer this study: http://content.time.com/time/magazin...017200,00.html

Drinking is amazing and makes this boring life more tolerable. You just dont want to do it Russian style with a bottle of vodka with every meal.
    Any thoughts as to why the Russians drink so much? Something culturally ingrained?

Part of the world picture involves economics; many Third World citizens simply cannot afford to drink alcohol even if they wanted to, hence the lower consumption.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Benford View Post

Any thoughts as to why the Russians drink so much? Something culturally ingrained?

Part of the world picture involves economics; many Third World citizens simply cannot afford to drink alcohol even if they wanted to, hence the lower consumption.
    Russians have been hard-drinking for a thousand years anyway, and there's an argument to be made that if not for alcohol, Russian would have officially been an Islamic state a loooong time ago. Of course, long term unemployment and the complete lack of public services to help someone dry out also have been around for hundreds of years, so shit gets ingrained in the culture pretty good.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Benford View Post

Russians have been hard-drinking for a thousand years anyway, and there's an argument to be made that if not for alcohol, Russian would have officially been an Islamic state a loooong time ago. Of course, long term unemployment and the complete lack of public services to help someone dry out also have been around for hundreds of years, so shit gets ingrained in the culture pretty good.
    Yes, I've heard that in addition to drinking being embedded in the culture, Russian life is very difficult/stressful for most people, and that leads a lot of people to drink in order to cope.

If Russia became an Islamic state, that could seriously threaten humanity's existence. Think of fanatics like al Qaeda with access to Russian nukes. They wouldn't hesitate to level the entire world, regardless of the consequences.

Perhaps limitles (who tells me he's clean now) can expand upon Canada's alcohol consumption being noticeably greater per capita than the US. Is drinking also a large part of Canadian culture?

One of the most notorious heavy drinkers among poker pros is Gavin Smith, a Canadian.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Yes, I've heard that in addition to drinking being embedded in the culture, Russian life is very difficult/stressful for most people, and that leads a lot of people to drink in order to cope.

If Russia became an Islamic state, that could seriously threaten humanity's existence. Think of fanatics like al Qaeda with access to Russian nukes. They wouldn't hesitate to level the entire world, regardless of the consequences.

Perhaps limitles (who tells me he's clean now) can expand upon Canada's alcohol consumption being noticeably greater per capita than the US. Is drinking also a large part of Canadian culture?

One of the most notorious heavy drinkers among poker pros is Gavin Smith, a Canadian.

This begs the question of why Islamic countries on the map, that should be bone dry, have the color scales that they do? I thought it was verboten to drink in a number of the North African / Middle Eastern areas?

Load Metric

Just to clarify, I meant like 1000 years ago, under Vlad the Great. Maybe a bullshit story, but he was examining religions to pick one for the state, and he was digging on Islam, until they mentioned the alcohol prohibition. His response was something like "Drinking is the joy of all Russians. We cannot exist without that pleasure."

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Could have something to do with Hockey/fighting/temperature(excuse) and living next to a gun toting superpower(doubtful), but what's up with the Irish not being in the black?

Canucks just wanna have fun prolly.

Load Metric

Just to clarify, I meant like 1000 years ago, under Vlad the Great. Maybe a bullshit story, but he was examining religions to pick one for the state, and he was digging on Islam, until they mentioned the alcohol prohibition. His response was something like "Drinking is the joy of all Russians. We cannot exist without that pleasure."

My assumption would be that if not Christianity or government imposed atheism (yes folks, that's a religion too), because of their bloodline, that they would go for Buddhism. I haven't looked it up, but it would make sense that for at least a few hundred years that it had been Buddhist.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Could have something to do with Hockey/fighting/temperature(excuse) and living next to a gun toting superpower(doubtful), but what's up with the Irish not being in the black?

Canucks just wanna have fun prolly.

Alcohol makes the hella 6's more palatable.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    what's up with the Irish not being in the black?
    My guess is it is because, although they are drinking quite a lot and quite often, they aren't hitting up the 40+ proof stuff nearly as much. Just shitloads of 3-5% abv beer, which can't compete with people who drink vodka or similar all the time.

Banned
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    Surprising that Nepal and India are in the light yellow.

I lived there for 1.5 years and everyone drank like fish, from people with money to the dirt poor we encountered on treks who would sell potent homemade shit that tasted great for next to nothing.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

I lived there for 1.5 years and everyone drank like fish, from people with money to the dirt poor we encountered on treks who would sell potent homemade shit that tasted great for next to nothing.
    I'll preface this by admitting I'm way too fucking lazy to read that whole article to see how they came up with their numbers but I'm pretty sure the "potent homemade shit" was not part of this "study".
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric

With hockeyguy on this, that the homemade brew could not be figured into the study. Most likely just packaged alcohol.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

I'll preface this by admitting I'm way too fucking lazy to read that whole article to see how they came up with their numbers but I'm pretty sure the "potent homemade shit" was not part of this "study".
    too drunk to read the article, eh

Load Metric
    Entertaining the thought that Russia could one day become an Islamic state is ludacris.

Drinking also doesn't have to be linked to poverty or hardship, or in a way of dealing with life in a semi suppressed country. Sometimes it's just part of a culture where consuming alcohol is just the norm.

Going back 10 years you wouldn't see many Russians on vacation around the sunny beaches of Europe. But now they're everywhere, and you see many of them knocking back a vodka or beer with their breakfast. It's just how they roll.

Drinking has always been a big part of UK culture and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Italians do enjoy a glass of wine with food. But that is as far as it goes. They socialize drinking coffee. Even the younger generation are more inclined to hang out at a bistro rather than a bar.
    http://pnimg.net/w/articles-attachments/1/4c2/74d75c36d2.jpg

Thread Information