Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Credit card bonus whoring

Load Metric
    I've had the Amazon Visa card for years, because it was 3% cash back on all Amazon purchases, and I do a majority of my retail shopping on Amazon.

Without asking they just sent me an Amazon Prime Visa card, that gets 5% cash back on Amazon, with the same 2% from gas and restaurants, and 1% on other stuff, and still no annual fee. Redeeming your cash back is super easy. When you're checking out on Amazon, you just check the box that you want to use your Amazon Points as payment.

If you order off Amazon constantly like I do, it's a no brainer.

The physical card is very different from my old one. It's really heavy, like 3 times the weight of a normal card. And it doesn't have raised numbers on the front, just a small etched name. The number is on the back under the signature box in small very slightly raised numbers. Apparently the cell phone card readers killed off the last of the carbon paper imprint machines and they ended backward compatibility with them. Maybe that's normal now, but it's the first I've seen it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    I've had the Amazon Visa card for years, because it was 3% cash back on all Amazon purchases, and I do a majority of my retail shopping on Amazon.[

Without asking they just sent me an Amazon Prime Visa card, that gets 5% cash back on Amazon, with the same 2% from gas and restaurants, and 1% on other stuff, and still no annual fee. Redeeming your cash back is super easy. When you're checking out on Amazon, you just check the box that you want to use your Amazon Points as payment.

If you order off Amazon constantly like I do, it's a no brainer.
    Yeah, go back two pages...

The physical card is very different from my old one. It's really heavy, like 3 times the weight of a normal card. And it doesn't have raised numbers on the front, just a small etched name. The number is on the back under the signature box in small very slightly raised numbers. Apparently the cell phone card readers killed off the last of the carbon paper imprint machines and they ended backward compatibility with them. Maybe that's normal now, but it's the first I've seen it.
    Sounds like it's a metal card. I didn't realize they were using the metal format for the Amazon Prime card. This is becoming the norm for "higher end" cards. Not sure who started it but Citi and Chase do it, and pretty soon the Amex Platinum will be metal
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    ok Amex is offering an "upgrade" to platinum. 60,000 points which I think is worth about $600, and it looks like $200 uber credits a year and $200 airline credit. cost $550 a year, but I think I can just take the 60,000 and then move back to gold at the end of the year. funny enough I was thinking about dropping amex altogether. anyone looked at this upgrade offer?
    Experience You've Ever Had
    Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.†

Upgrading your Card is simple - Your account number will not change and any existing Additional Card(s) will also be upgraded. You can continue using your existing Card(s) until you receive the new Card(s).
    ANNUAL FEE
    The annual fee for the Platinum Card is $ 550. The annual fee for Additional Cards is $175 for up to 3 Additional Cards. The annual fee for the 4th or more Additional Cards is $175 for each Card.¤
    NO INTEREST CHARGES
    No interest charges because you pay your balance in full each month.‡¤

Request an Upgrade
    Add to Compare
    †Offer Terms ‡Benefit Terms ¤Rates and Fees

New! Uber Rides With Platinum‡
    Enjoy $15 in Uber credits for U.S. rides each month plus a bonus $20 in December1, simply because you're a Platinum Card Member. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.

1Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only

Load Metric
    This isn't whoring, per se, but what would stop me from using a credit card to buy BTC or a balance in a gambling platform, cashing out and then backcharging the initial charge as fraudulent.

Obviously it's sleazy and could only be used once or twice, but seems like there's little harm in trying. Are there even penalties for attempting to backcharge anything that can't be proved it was you?

Comments

dick: ask handicapme about this, mumbles

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GringoStar View Post
    This isn't whoring, per se, but what would stop me from using a credit card to buy BTC or a balance in a gambling platform, cashing out and then backcharging the initial charge as fraudulent.

Obviously it's sleazy and could only be used once or twice, but seems like there's little harm in trying. Are there even penalties for attempting to backcharge anything that can't be proved it was you?
    Paging Yebsite.

Load Metric

Anything you post on PFA can be used against you in a court of law

Comments

GringoStar: Your point?
    TRUMP 2024!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Charham View Post
    ok Amex is offering an "upgrade" to platinum. 60,000 points which I think is worth about $600, and it looks like $200 uber credits a year and $200 airline credit. cost $550 a year, but I think I can just take the 60,000 and then move back to gold at the end of the year. funny enough I was thinking about dropping amex altogether. anyone looked at this upgrade offer?
    Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership.†

Upgrading your Card is simple - Your account number will not change and any existing Additional Card(s) will also be upgraded. You can continue using your existing Card(s) until you receive the new Card(s).
    ANNUAL FEE
    The annual fee for the Platinum Card is $ 550. The annual fee for Additional Cards is $175 for up to 3 Additional Cards. The annual fee for the 4th or more Additional Cards is $175 for each Card.¤
    NO INTEREST CHARGES

Request an Upgrade
    Add to Compare

Enjoy $15 in Uber credits for U.S. rides each month plus a bonus $20 in December1, simply because you're a Platinum Card Member. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.

I didn't realize they were offering the bonus for upgrading existing accounts. I would do it. 60k MR points should be worth in the neighborhood of $1,000, depending on how you use it. Some things to consider:
    *The $200 airline credit is per calendar year. That means you'll actually get a $400 credit in the first 12 months of having this card. Unlike the Sapphire Reserve or Citi Prestige, the Amex airline credit is supposed to only be used for incidental purchases, such as baggage fees. BUT, there's a way around it. You can buy 4 $50 gift cards and they'll be re-imbursed and then you can use those GC's towards a $200 plane ticket. Whereas if you just buy a $200 plane ticket, it won't be reimbursed. It's important to buy the GCs in $50 increments because to the Amex system it'll look like you're paying for a baggage fee.
    *Yes you can downgrade your card back to gold (or even a no-fee Amex) after you use all the benefits. You should wait until at least January 2018 to do this tho, so you get the $200 airline credit twice.
    *The Amex platinum isn't a particularly rewarding everyday spending card but there are some nice benefits. You should be using the card for buying airfare direct (5x points) and hotels (tho annoyingly you'll have to do it through the amex portal). You'll get access to the Centurion lounges, which are some of the nicest stateside lounges, but they're few and far between. You'll also get access to Delta lounges, but only when flying Delta.

Personally, I think out of the 3 main premium cards (Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige, Amex Platinum), that the Platinum is the weakest. But I would still definitely take this offer and then downgrade the card in 2018. You should be getting approximately $1,600 in benefits for $550.

Comments

Charham: Thank your the analysis, I am going to do it and cancel in late January
    Last edited by PLOL; 05-16-2017 at 08:32 AM.
    TRUMP 2024!

Inaugural Spring Classic Champion HoodedN's Avatar
    Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Charham View Post

ANNUAL FEE
    NO INTEREST CHARGES

Request an Upgrade
    Add to Compare

I didn't realize they were offering the bonus for upgrading existing accounts. I would do it. 60k MR points should be worth in the neighborhood of $1,000, depending on how you use it. Some things to consider:
    *The $200 airline credit is per calendar year. That means you'll actually get a $400 credit in the first 12 months of having this card. Unlike the Sapphire Reserve or Citi Prestige, the Amex airline credit is supposed to only be used for incidental purchases, such as baggage fees. BUT, there's a way around it. You can buy 4 $50 gift cards and they'll be re-imbursed and then you can use those GC's towards a $200 plane ticket. Whereas if you just buy a $200 plane ticket, it won't be reimbursed. It's important to buy the GCs in $50 increments because to the Amex system it'll look like you're paying for a baggage fee.
    *Yes you can downgrade your card back to gold (or even a no-fee Amex) after you use all the benefits. You should wait until at least January 2018 to do this tho, so you get the $200 airline credit twice.
    *The Amex platinum isn't a particularly rewarding everyday spending card but there are some nice benefits. You should be using the card for buying airfare direct (5x points) and hotels (tho annoyingly you'll have to do it through the amex portal). You'll get access to the Centurion lounges, which are some of the nicest stateside lounges, but they're few and far between. You'll also get access to Delta lounges, but only when flying Delta.

Personally, I think out of the 3 main premium cards (Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige, Amex Platinum), that the Platinum is the weakest. But I would still definitely take this offer and then downgrade the card in 2018. You should be getting approximately $1,600 in benefits for $550.
    Some hotels on Amex Platinum also offer special benefits, such as a food/spa credit and late checkout. Varies from property to property, and many properties don't offer it at all. You need to call them to find this out. Maybe there's a list online now. There's also a law of diminishing returns to this, as the food credit is the same for a 1-night stay and a longer stay, so you're not getting much beyond the first night as far as extra value. Still a nice benefit.

If you qualify for the Amex Platinum Business, get that. You also get free Gogo Wifi (which is the provider for many airlines).

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post

Some hotels on Amex Platinum also offer special benefits, such as a food/spa credit and late checkout. Varies from property to property, and many properties don't offer it at all. You need to call them to find this out. Maybe there's a list online now. There's also a law of diminishing returns to this, as the food credit is the same for a 1-night stay and a longer stay, so you're not getting much beyond the first night as far as extra value. Still a nice benefit.

If you qualify for the Amex Platinum Business, get that. You also get free Gogo Wifi (which is the provider for many airlines).
    You can see the hotel list here:
    https://www.americanexpressfhr.com

But, and this is completely backwards, the 5x points on hotels doesn't apply to FHR properties. It only applies to non-FHR hotel reservations made through amextravel.com
    TRUMP 2024!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodedN View Post

I am aware this is fraud and I'm not surprised that no one provided any information whatsoever, but my question wasn't "is this legal?" I was wondering what stops people from doing that, it seems like an unprosecutable offense.

I know what CC fraud is, so please save me the basic legal nonsense.

Comments

Hockey Guy: JFC, shut it the fuck down.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Chase is offering 100,000 points for anyone who takes out a new mortgage thru them if you have the Sapphire card. 2k in value.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Chase is offering 100,000 points for anyone who takes out a new mortgage thru them if you have the Sapphire card. 2k in value.
    Wonder how competitive their rates are.. 2k is no big victory if you are paying an extra quarter point.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Wonder how competitive their rates are.. 2k is no big victory if you are paying an extra quarter point.
    I tweeted the same exact thing, they will just make it up tacking on a fraction of a point in fees that most won't even realize.

Their rates are some of the best it was in the article but I don't feel like finding it.

Load Metric
    I know LOL MACY'S OR JC PENNY'S OR NIKE, WHO SHOPS THERE!

No but really fuckers if you have the chase freedom card below is the MONEY BACK you'll get:

Macy's: 16% up to 1500 than 11% after (10% bonus for this month, plus 1% normally, plus quarterly department store bonus 5%). Transfer this to chase sapphire preferred and get 24% towards travel (1.5x on pts used for travel)

JC PENNY'S: 14%
    Nike:11% (no department store bonus)

MUST SHOP THROUGH THE CHASE CARD PORTAL, DONATE REWARD MONEY TO 2018 WSOP LOBSTERMAC FUND.

Comments

4BET: Awful -1

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LobsterMac View Post
    I know LOL MACY'S OR JC PENNY'S OR NIKE, WHO SHOPS THERE!

No but really fuckers if you have the chase freedom card below is the MONEY BACK you'll get:

Macy's: 16% up to 1500 than 11% after (10% bonus for this month, plus 1% normally, plus quarterly department store bonus 5%). Transfer this to chase sapphire preferred and get 24% towards travel (1.5x on pts used for travel)

JC PENNY'S: 14%
    Nike:11% (no department store bonus)

MUST SHOP THROUGH THE CHASE CARD PORTAL, DONATE REWARD MONEY TO 2018 WSOP LOBSTERMAC FUND.
    Good post, but yeah I freaking hate this quarter's Freedom bonus. Who the hell shops at big box department stores anymore? Isn't Chase supposed to be going after Millennials? And I think you meant to say transfer to Sapphire Reserve, which gives 1.5x on travel. The inferior Sapphire Preferred gives 1.25x.

Luckily I just got a Discover IT card w/5% rotating quarters. This quarter is 5% off at Amazon and Target. And for the first year they double it. So I'm getting 10% off at Amazon and Target, which is actually better than the Amazon Prime CC. Closer to the end of the year I'm just going to buy an Amazon gift card so I can get 10% off through most of 2018 too.
    TRUMP 2024!

Load Metric
    Amex Platnum members this year started receiving a monthly Uber credit of $15, with a $35 credit in December for a total of $200 a year.

Big deal right?

I don’t use Uber so it didn’t do much for me. I recently created an Uber account because I was going to use my monthly credit for a friend. By doing so, I discovered that you can use the monthly credits for Uber eats as well.

Uber eats is their food delivery service. When you order, the food, the tax, deliver fee etc are all deducted from you credits.

$15 isn’t much (although I got $35 this month) but you can find something cheap to order for free or pay a few dollars additionally and get some decent food.

Any unused credit does expire on the last day of the month.

GS

ZoD

Load Metric
    According to a leak from a source within Chase, Chase is actively looking at disabling the ability to transfer points between cards. This has been rumored for a while, but may finally be getting closer. This would be a big blow to bonus whores who have the trifecta of Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, and Sapphire Reserve (as I do). It'll effectively make the CFU useless if you have the CSR. The change would have the following impact:
    Chase Freedom + CSR: Your 5% quarterly categories will now be worth 5% (currently worth 7.5%+ for travel).
    Freedom Unlimited + CSR: Non-bonus spend will be worth 1.5% (currently worth 2.25%+ for travel)
    Sapphire Reserve: Unaffected. Dining and travel purchases will continue to earn 4.5%+ towards travel and non-bonus spend will earn 1.5%+.

Hopefully at the very least they will give an ample amount of heads up before they implement this change (which still isn't 100%, but seems likely). But in any case, if you have a bunch of points lying around on a Chase card, I would advise transferring them to your CSR (or Chase Ink) ASAP.

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...rds-transfers/

TRUMP 2024!

Load Metric
    Apparently Chase is now offering 3% (really 3x points) on all purchases in the first year on the CFU for new cardholders. Bonus whores could really crush Chase on this one if they transfer these points to their CSR, where they'll be worth 50% more. All you'd have to do is keep sending a friend a bunch of money on paypal using your CFU. I believe paypal charges 3%. So you'd pay 3% in fees, and get back 4.5% in points (and more if you get creative with your points).

So it makes sense that Chase is trying to clamp down on people doing this. While I hate that Chase is considering doing this, I think it makes sense as a business move. The CSR is still highly valuable and I doubt they'll see much of a loss in their customer base as a result.
    TRUMP 2024!

Load Metric
    Where are we at on this topic now? Chase Saphire still the top?

I’m closing a shitty Disney card. I was going to open the princess cruise line card but that aparently is an uber shitty deal as well.

Thread Information