Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about sending big files

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    Les,

This is actually one of those situations where GOOGLE is going to give you several suggestions, however Weiss is better off asking people which method THEY prefer and why, than Weiss actually trying out every GOOGLE recommendation until he found one he likes.

Don't mind the jerkoff. He obviously doesn't know how to use his resources.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    If you have access to an actual Mac or Linux machine use split to segment the videos to however many segments you need to reach x size. What are the size limitations of the email you are trying to use? If it's gmail you can only do 25mb attachments, and the total email size has to be 25mb or under (meaning if the video is like 500 mb you are going to segment your video 500/25=20 segments in total)

Here is the command line shit you enter. Move the video from iphone to mac, get it to the desktop (makes shit easier) and we will assume your video is 135 mb, which I think is pretty much going to be the upper range for anything you'd shoot.

Go to accessories/utilities/terminal it brings you to a black screen type the following (bolded text type exactly as you see it, hit enter. Also I am assuming the name of your movie file is weiss.mov, size 135 mb name it whatever you like, when you enter the terminal commands make sure you specify the right suffix. So say your movie is .mp4 it's weiss.mp4 if it's called hotheavyjungleaction.flv type hotheavyaction.flv and you can rename the movie while on the desktop before you split it up)

cd desktop

split -b 25m weiss.mov

-b flag tells program size of file to output, with m=megabytes, k=kilobytes, b=bytes and by default it will number the output files as xaa, xab, xac, etc. Whomever you send them to just needs to use cat command for rejoining the file segments.

If your buddy doesn't know how to use cat it's

cat weiss.movaa weiss.movab weiss.movac weiss.movad weiss.movae weiss.movaf

Should work perfectly, super easy, free, and you don't have to download shit.

Questions holler. There are some programs that will do this for you but honestly you are a grown ass man, it's fucking time you learned simple unix commands. They will serve you wellmy friend.

"Teach a man to fish and he will forever hate you for teaching him a useless skill. Teach a man unix commands and he will bless you for a lifetime."
    -408mike
    Or he can do any of the easier methods above. Seriously, I'm a linux fan, its got me out of a lot of jams over the years and taught me a lot about how computers work, but fuck, man, even mentioning the term "command line" in a thread like this is a fail. Dude wants to send shit from his iphone, not find a desktop computer and manually do all the other bullshit you're talking about.

If you want one more option, I'm a big fan of google Drive. Upload your file, send out link. When its a video file, they can watch the video without downloading if they want. Easiest method in many cases, though I cannot speak for how easy it is on an iPhone.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Every problem looks like a nail, eh Mike?
    I have experience from having had to send a buddy a 4.3 gig .dmg file and suffered a while trying to find a legit file sharing service. Ending up using rapidshare, so I know what Weiss is going through. I am thankful to be delivering to him means to send what he wants without downloading anything or pay anything, and if he wants to be lazy, without even hardly thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    If you have access to an actual Mac or Linux machine use split to segment the videos to however many segments you need to reach x size. What are the size limitations of the email you are trying to use? If it's gmail you can only do 25mb attachments, and the total email size has to be 25mb or under (meaning if the video is like 500 mb you are going to segment your video 500/25=20 segments in total)

Here is the command line shit you enter. Move the video from iphone to mac, get it to the desktop (makes shit easier) and we will assume your video is 135 mb, which I think is pretty much going to be the upper range for anything you'd shoot.

Go to accessories/utilities/terminal it brings you to a black screen type the following (bolded text type exactly as you see it, hit enter. Also I am assuming the name of your movie file is weiss.mov, size 135 mb name it whatever you like, when you enter the terminal commands make sure you specify the right suffix. So say your movie is .mp4 it's weiss.mp4 if it's called hotheavyjungleaction.flv type hotheavyaction.flv and you can rename the movie while on the desktop before you split it up)

cd desktop

split -b 25m weiss.mov

-b flag tells program size of file to output, with m=megabytes, k=kilobytes, b=bytes and by default it will number the output files as xaa, xab, xac, etc. Whomever you send them to just needs to use cat command for rejoining the file segments.

If your buddy doesn't know how to use cat it's

cat weiss.movaa weiss.movab weiss.movac weiss.movad weiss.movae weiss.movaf

Should work perfectly, super easy, free, and you don't have to download shit.

Questions holler. There are some programs that will do this for you but honestly you are a grown ass man, it's fucking time you learned simple unix commands. They will serve you wellmy friend.

"Teach a man to fish and he will forever hate you for teaching him a useless skill. Teach a man unix commands and he will bless you for a lifetime."
    -408mike
    Or he can do any of the easier methods above.
    Clearly dragging and dropping to desktop, clicking open a terminal window and typing like two lines of text is the easiest option plus it carries extra value from having also broadened Weiss's working knowledge of the computers he uses on a regular basis.

Seriously, I'm a linux fan, its got me out of a lot of jams over the years and taught me a lot about how computers work, but fuck, man, even mentioning the term "command line" in a thread like this is a fail.
    I will not presume Weiss is a moron incapable of learning. That's your show and I will let you run it however you want to, but leave me alone.

Dude wants to send shit from his iphone, not find a desktop computer and manually do all the other bullshit you're talking about.
    I thought ahead and figured Weiss is intelligent enough to not attempt sending large video files over his cellular network and instead would wait until he could get to a hardline (ethernet) connection to send them. Weiss should be able to find a mac to use where he is at as there are a lot of mac users who do volunteer work and what not. He has not stated he has no access to modern technology unless I missed it.

If you want one more option, I'm a big fan of google Drive. Upload your file, send out link. When its a video file, they can watch the video without downloading if they want. Easiest method in many cases, though I cannot speak for how easy it is on an iPhone.
    Yes, and he could also use YOUTUBE if he fucking wanted to, but that's not what he ASKED for help doing now is it? Learn to read or learn to shut the fuck up. I don't care which you prefer but do one or the other moron.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Banned
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    I thought ahead and figured Weiss is intelligent enough to not attempt sending large video files over his cellular network and instead would wait until he could get to a hardline (ethernet) connection to send them. Weiss should be able to find a mac to use where he is at as there are a lot of mac users who do volunteer work and what not. He has not stated he has no access to modern technology unless I missed it.
    This paragraph is a good snapshot as to how your mind works. Dude wants to send files from his phone. You bring up mac users doing volunteer work and whatnot who'd be happy to help him. Don't think ahead. Stay in the present. Answer the question asked, not the one you think he should be asking.

Yes, and he could also use YOUTUBE if he fucking wanted to, but that's not what he ASKED for help doing now is it? Learn to read or learn to shut the fuck up. I don't care which you prefer but do one or the other moron.
    It's exactly what he asked for, without making all the crazy assumptions you went ahead with. Did you read what he asked for? I did. He wanted a file host for large files, video files specifically, that he wanted to send to people, because the files were too big for attaching. Google Drive is a file host, which happens to allow you to send files up to, I think 5gb in size. As an added option, the users could watch the videos without having to download them.

So how did I fuck that up? I gave him an immediate option available from his phone to do exactly what he wanted, with a bonus feature available for good measure. You offer him the path of finding a linux or mac computer, bust out the command line, and manually cut up the files to the proper size so he could email them out as attachments, which would require multiple emails, and multiple downloads on the other end, which is in no universe a faster or better option than any other option presented in this thread.

You are a loon.
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 12-10-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Load Metric
    JFC zip it up, set it to make 250mb parts and upload them all separately, use rapidshart or mediafire and boom roasted, you're done.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    Dropbox

easiest option by a long chalk and free for up to 2GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post

easiest option by a long chalk and free for up to 2GB.
    Google drive's just as easy and gives 5 gb to start. plus, most already have a google account.

Load Metric
    It took me like 30 seconds, and I used the one DRK Star gave me.

Thanks for all the help books, Mike.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Only God can judge me. So either LOVE ME or LEAVE ME ALONE"

IG- Changethegame71 tell me more about how much you hate me, even though you know you can't help but follow me

Thread Information