Thread: WSOP Player of the Year rule changes

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

WSOP Player of the Year rule changes

https://twitter.com/WSOP/status/1794776258016157862

They are seeking to combat the Chris Ferguson mincash strategy, where players vying for Player of the Year enter a ton of events and just nit themselves into a ton of small cashes, thus earning lots of points via volume.

Now they're taking the player's best 10 cashes, and online cashes only can make up one of those 10. At that point, they apply some formula and come up with the winner.

What don't I like? You need to have 5 minimum cashes. So let's say I get outrageously lucky and win 4 bracelets this year out of the 8 or so events I'll be playing.

Let's say I don't otherwise cash. Despite it being OBVIOUS I should be POY in such a situation, I wouldn't be eligible!

I see what they're trying to do. They don't want some guy rolling into town, playing 2 events, winning both of them, leaving, and then getting POY despite barely playing at all in the series.

Still, cashes shouldn't be a part of this. If you only play a few events and are lucky enough to win 2-3, and those push you over the top to win POY, then so be it. You deserve it.

I do like the "10 maximum cashes" rule -- meaning that they will apply the best 10. This will stop a lot of the max late reg bullshit where a lot of deep pocketed pros register super late just so they can get POY points. The reason I hate this as a player is that it's annoying dealing with these players if they happen to get lucky and run it up. I already don't like how late they let people register, but at least this rule change will discourage some of them from wanting to do it.

Load Metric
    Your example of winning 4 bracelets and not being eligible for POY is a good one. These new rules are stupid and need to be modified.

Load Metric
    I’ve always perceived the POY as a made up award to entice egotistical pros to play in as many events as possible. The winner of the $50,000 Player’s Championship is the POY IMO. Good luck Matt and Todd today. Let’s all play well. I’d was out of the O/8 event by the second break lol.

Thread Information