Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2024 Thread

Load Metric

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: Nice

Load Metric
    You can't question their past success, but Astros 5/95 for Hader is ROFL.

No pitcher is worth ~$400k per inning.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

Not to mention that he had that weird period of time where he was getting clobbered, then somehow righted the ship.

Spending a lot of $ on a closer usually ends up in regret.

I did kinda like the Dodgers approach of just trying out whomever they had, and they stumbled into Evan Phillips, a complete nobody, being pretty good.

Load Metric

MLB is more and more a bullpen game with each passing year. Starts in the first inning now. Money skewing to the bullpen. There is a logic to it.

Astros have the best backend in baseball as of this signing.

Why not extend their run with a win now attitude. They know how to build a post season roster.

I’m gonna over rule your objection

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

MLB is more and more a bullpen game with each passing year. Starts in the first inning now. Money skewing to the bullpen. There is a logic to it.

Why not extend their run with a win now attitude. They know how to build a post season roster.

I mean yeah, 100% on that bolded part. If the Stros use Hader like Milwaukee did early in his career, as a multi-inning stopper (since they have Pressly already there closing) then thats better. Hard to say, though...egos and whatnot. Hader might have been promised the closer role. He's getting $5m more a year than Pressly.

Still not my ideal staff-building mode. I like our most recent champion Rangers current model. Throw money at starters, many of them. 162 games is a war of attrition. Hopefully by the end you got 6 healthy, 2 of them move to the pen in playoffs where their stuff plays up and they basically become stoppers (Jon Gray last year). The majority of the regular season pen being guys who are pre-arb.

But again, like I said, its hard to criticize the Astros after 7 straight ALCS appearances. Overrule filed away until later for further review.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

I mean yeah, 100% on that bolded part. If the Stros use Hader like Milwaukee did early in his career, as a multi-inning stopper (since they have Pressly already there closing) then thats better. Hard to say, though...egos and whatnot. Hader might have been promised the closer role. He's getting $5m more a year than Pressly.

Still not my ideal staff-building mode. I like our most recent champion Rangers current model. Throw money at starters, many of them. 162 games is a war of attrition. Hopefully by the end you got 6 healthy, 2 of them move to the pen in playoffs where their stuff plays up and they basically become stoppers (Jon Gray last year). The majority of the regular season pen being guys who are pre-arb.

But again, like I said, its hard to criticize the Astros after 7 straight ALCS appearances. Overrule filed away until later for further review.
    Now that Hader has locked up his bag he won’t give as much of a fuck about saves and all the metrics that get you the big dollars. I bet he is amenable to multiple innings and whatever is needed.

Hader moves on to Phase II - rings

Load Metric
    is there a guy who does custom dodger straw hats on here and we can hang like 5 championships on it in a row cuz fuck yall poor teams

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    is there a guy who does custom dodger straw hats on here and we can hang like 5 championships on it in a row cuz fuck yall poor teams
    It’s a championship formula for sure

Name:  IMG_7655.jpeg
Views: 109
Size:  34.6 KB

You've got the looks, I've got the brains
    Let's make lots of money

Gonna be a lot of laughs

Load Metric
    cant stop wont stop until california runs out of money in like 5 years and then whatevs

Load Metric
    although there could be like 58k people left in la and dodger stadium still sells out cuz its awesome

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    although there could be like 58k people left in la and dodger stadium still sells out cuz its awesome
    Oh they gonna be the Savannah Bananas this summer. Then we will have our usual heart to heart in the post season.

Load Metric
    lets parking lot that till 2028 after our 4 peat

Load Metric
    @gut

Kyle Boddy of Driveline will serve as a Special Advisor to Craig Breslow and the Red Sox on pitching R&D for the coming season.

That’s a big deal. We joke about the Dodgers pitching coaches and development (weighted balls).

Driveline influences pitching from high school to MLB. Boddy changed everything. His importance cannot be overstated.

Boddy was a former poker player. His story is an outstanding listen. There is a ton of stuff out there but this has that stupidity wagering bent.

Name:  IMG_7666.jpeg
Views: 101
Size:  58.8 KB

The story of the century has been the Dodger pitching mismanagement and now the greatest baseball player ever is in their hands and the Dodgers whiffed on Kyle Boddy…. or he wanted no part of them.

Our very own MickeyCrimm was the subject of a Risk of Ruin podcast as well. Two Hustlers.

Comments

gut: Will listen tonite

Load Metric
    The Orioles have confirmed yesterday’s reports on a sale of the team, announcing Wednesday that a group of investors led by billionaire David Rubenstein of the Carlyle Group private equity firm has purchased the control stake of the team from the Angelos family for $1.725 billion. Notably, former control person John Angelos will remain a “major investor” in the club and will serve as a senior advisor to Rubenstein in his new role. The transaction values the Orioles franchise and assets at $1.725 billion dollars, per the team’s press release on the ownership shakeup.
    I am ignorant on any personal details of Rubenstein. If he is a "fan" and wants to spend and win, watch out. Orioles should be the next Astros.

Load Metric
    Esptein BACK

One-time Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein is returning to the organization, taking part ownership of Fenway Sports Group and joining in the role of senior advisor, FSG will announce Friday morning.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Esptein BACK

One-time Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein is returning to the organization, taking part ownership of Fenway Sports Group and joining in the role of senior advisor, FSG will announce Friday morning.
    For the second straight year ownership and management were raucously booed at the Red Sox Winter Fan Fest 2 weeks ago.

I want you to know the boos, the anger, the hate we see on social media … we get it,” Red Sox President Sam Kennedy said
    Boston sports fans. Not gay.

Red Sox had to do something to correct the damage done by Andrew Friedman’s protege L’Chiam Bloom. Complete disaster.

Fenway Sports Group was spread thin with hockey, soccer, motor sports and golf. Epstein is the best there is and will bring focus back to baseball

Gold
    Load Metric
    I've come to genuinely dislike the Red Sox. Theo Epstein coming back 20 years later isn't going to deliver results anytime soon. Its lipstick on a pig as far as I'm concerned. Sox fans have to face facts that baseball is dying in Boston and pick another team until they stop trying to ruin every season before it even starts.

I'm not forking over one red cent for a ticket to Fenway until the team stops sucking and starts contending and I'm not wasting 3 hours of my spring and summer watching them on tv. The owners can fuck off. These assholes ruined the Sox. They think bringing back an executive is gonna make us all forget they got worse over the winter? Fuck them.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well at least the Red Sox are consistent.

78 wins in 2022. 78 wins in 2023.

Maybe they can go for a trifecta?

Offense doesn't look that bad. Hell, maybe Vaughn Grissom will finally break out after being mishandled for 2 years in Atlanta.

But the pitching... oy vey. Right now they don't have a single starter whose ERA computer-projects under 4.28.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Attention Sanlmar:

Kershaw back with the Dodgers: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...each-agreement

Terms not disclosed yet.

He will miss at least half the season. Dodgers already have a 5-man rotation with Yamamoto, Glasnow, Miller, Buehler, and Paxton. None of those five were starters on the team during opening week 2023.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Attention Sanlmar:

Kershaw back with the Dodgers: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...each-agreement

Terms not disclosed yet.

He will miss at least half the season. Dodgers already have a 5-man rotation with Yamamoto, Glasnow, Miller, Buehler, and Paxton. None of those five were starters on the team during opening week 2023.
    As long as Kershaw is ready to start in the playoffs, Druff.

Thread Information