Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2024 Thread

Load Metric
    Dodgers now considering trading Bobby Miller for Chris Sale to complete their injury staff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Dodgers now considering trading Bobby Miller for Chris Sale to complete their injury staff
    That would be very dumb

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    That would be very dumb
    I’m being ironic about Glasnow. Similar and yes dumb

Load Metric
    This all reminds me of the Ted Lasso episode where they believed the training room is cursed.

Dodgers need to perform an exorcism of the pitchers trainig room. They gonna need the extra space

Gold
    Load Metric
    It would sadden me if Randy A gets traded to LA Dodgers

He is a fun player to watch on a nightly basis

I will not forget his historic postseason run that is rarely mentioned

Nicky Pipes Remembers Randy

Load Metric
    Here’s a fun fact cause as big as you think this Ohtani deal is - it’s bigger.

Likewise and by extension the pressure that is going to be felt later this year in the Dodger front office is also beyond your imagination.

Do you understand pal? Really?

Maybe that’s only fun only if you are a true afficionado of Dodger schadenfreude like me. Here’s something that is the penultimate of ironical.

Ohtani had a clause written in his contract that if Andrew Friedman leaves the Dodgers Ohtani has an out. Now that’s funny. C’mon

The clause is a reflex derived from his experience with the shitshow in Anaheim. Leadership coming and going and threats of sale of the franchise but he is expressing his fears in a misdirected way.

This is an absolute undeserved godsend for Fraudman. Life is funny that way.

Load Metric
    I’m gonna admit under direct cross examination that Glasnow is a playoff grade rotation acquisition for this year. To continue my analogy from my previous post - Chris Sale was a key acquisition made by Dombrowski when the owner of the Red Sawks demanded a World Series ring.

Was the price paid for the 2018 World Series Championship (damn time flies) worth it? That’s an existential question. I say yes. People like Druff live their whole lives in the hopes for just one championship. No cost is too great. But that’s me.

Glasnow

Load Metric
    David Samson (Nothing Personal podcast) is most often an apologist and champion of fellow front office Jew, Andrew Friedman. It’s the only explaination I’ve ever come up with. It’s always cringe.

On this morning’s pod he ridiculed the stupidity of the Dodgers acquiescing to the Fraudman clause.

Order is restored

Load Metric
    Atlanta absolutely killing this offseason so far. Picking their targets on vulnerable teams and making the trades needed to fill out the 20-25 spots on the roster.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Glasnow gets a 4-year/$111.5m extension with the Dodgers, beyond the 1-year/$25m he's getting in 2024.

This extension was part of the trade. Dodgers didn't want the trade unless Glasnow signed an extension, fearing they might have him as a 1-year rental and then have lost Pepiot for it.

Unfortunately, that also means they just invested $136.5m for 5 years of a guy who has never lasted more than 120 innings in a season.

This one has fail written all over it. What are the chances Glasnow remains healthy for most of these 5 years? It's even going to be hard to praise this trade if he has a good 2024, as he can go down at any moment from injury.

Comments

Sanlmar: rare example of objective critical Dodgers analysis is rewarded and encouraged here.

Load Metric
    Glasnow gets a 4-year/$111.5m extension with the Dodgers, beyond the 1-year/$25m he's getting in 2024.

This extension was part of the trade. Dodgers didn't want the trade unless Glasnow signed an extension, fearing they might have him as a 1-year rental and then have lost Pepiot for it.

Unfortunately, that also means they just invested $136.5m for 5 years of a guy who has never lasted more than 120 innings in a season.

This one has fail written all over it. What are the chances Glasnow remains healthy for most of these 5 years? It's even going to be hard to praise this trade if he has a good 2024, as he can go down at any moment from injury.

This was supposedly a “request/demand” from Ohtani before he agreed to sign there. He likes Glasnow for some reason.

Load Metric
    Yoshinobu Yamamoto to sign with Dodgers for $325M over 12 years: 25-year-old NPB ace joins Shohei Ohtani in LA

The Dodgers have spent a combined $1,161,500,000 on Shohei Ohtani, Yoshinobu Yamamoto and Tyler Glasnow this offseason.

Name:  IMG_7430.gif
Views: 91
Size:  3.14 MB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well, this is the Dodgers going all in on 2024.

No doubt this will be a very strong lineup, centered around Betts, Freeman, and Ohtani. The lineup won't be without weak spots, though. The 4-5 spots are likely to be Will Smith and Max Muncy, and the back 4 will probably be comprised of James Outman, Chris Taylor, Jason Heyward, and Gavin Lux. Defense will be a bit weird, with Mookie projected at 2B and Lux trying SS once again.

Bench actually looks weak at the moment.

Projected rotation is Yamamoto / Glasnow / Buehler (if he can be somewhat of his old self), Bobby Miller, and some 5th guy like Emmett Sheehan. Dustin May will miss half the year, Tony Gonsolin will miss most of the year, and Kershaw will miss most of the year even if he returns.

The bullpen will be much the same as last year, which actually did pretty well, but there is no lockdown closer. They're going with Evan Phillips again.

Dodgers are also running out of strong minor league prospects. Andy Pages (OF) might finally get a shot. Michael Busch, an infielder, might figure into things this year. Catcher Diego Cartaya might be the replacement for when Will Smith hits free agency, but probably not before that. Gavin Stone might take the #5 pitching spot, as he's the best of the various minor league pitchers.

Anyway, this still isn't a superteam. There isn't much offensive depth, the rotation counts on Glasnow staying healthy and Buehler bringing back some of his old magic, and there aren't a whole lot of minor league guys who will step up and make an impact.

They have a much better shot to succeed in the postseason than in '23, and they will probably win the division, but you know baseball. Anything can happen.

Load Metric
    Defense will be a bit weird,

Thats one way to put it.

That left side of the infield is bottom 5 in MLB. Lux's bat better be worth it.

Moving the gold-glove RF to 2B, where he graded out around average. Sure.

Defense isn't sexy. GM Shohei wants home runs and strikeouts.

Load Metric
    There was recently a fangraphs article about this very topic, as there normally is.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/with-moo...ming-up-short/

Comments

Sanlmar: Fun article

Load Metric
    We’ve had fun with the Dodgers SS and 3B situation numerous times over recent years. Druff is currently of the opinion Betts doesn’t need to be Gold Glove. Why, I don’t know.

Dodgers pitchers better be “swing and miss” cause “pitch to contact” and great defense (the more desirable approach) is not gonna be viable

I’m gonna have a great time this year

Old book but lol.

Name:  IMG_7437.jpeg
Views: 67
Size:  71.9 KB

So far the struggle to build a powerhouse has been a failure

Load Metric
    We’ve had fun with the Dodgers SS and 3B situation numerous times over recent years. Druff is currently of the opinion Betts doesn’t need to be Gold Glove. Why, I don’t know.

Dodgers pitchers better be “swing and miss” cause “pitch to contact” and great defense (the more desirable approach) is not gonna be viable

I’m gonna have a great time this year

Old book but lol.

So far the struggle to build a powerhouse has been a failure
    Yamamoto and Glasnow are both relatively high ground-ball inducing pitchers, the former more than the latter but both over 50% last year. Maybe Prior does have some work to do.

I read somewhere that Yamamoto doesn't lift weights. Prior has that weighted ball sitting in Yamamoto's locker as we speak.

Load Metric
    Prior lulz. This is gonna be the story inside the story. Prior has an enormous amount on his plate and it has gigantic consequence. The most impactful personality on the dodgers.

Wonder how the American ball vs Japanese ball will affect Yammy?

Wonder what ball MLB rolls out this year for that matter

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I don't understand why Taylor isn't at 2B if he's gonna be a starter.

Then they can put Mookie and his amazing OF glove where he belongs.

Maybe that will end up the plan.

Muncy at 3B and Lux at SS will be an... adventure, to say the least.

Load Metric
    The 2024 post season has begun

Chris Sale may not make it past June but this is fascinating jockeying on paper

Thread Information