Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2024 Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I hope the Dodgers brick the Ohtani pursuit. Would be the best thing to possibly happen to them.

Their two big spends recently were relatively safe ones -- Mookie and Freddie. Mookie's contract might suck on the back end, but he should at least produce throughout most of it. Dude was #2 in MVP voting in 2023, and Freddie was #3, so you can't complain there, even with their playoff choking.

Ohtani is a disaster waiting to happen. Why is a 2-way player so exciting if he's going to cost the same as two excellent single-way players? And he does nothing to address the Dodgers' biggest 2024 need -- starting pitching.

How often did you watch the 2023 Dodgers and say, "Wow... if only they could hit better..."

The offense basically won them 100 games despite failpitching.

So what's the solution? More offense and the prayer that player can pitch well after a series of major injuries? Oooooooooooook.

Dodgers should let Ohtani walk, and not even consider always-injured Trout.

Focus on Yamamoto, who is young and might really be something special. Then try to cobble together some starters around him, maybe Jordan Montgomery.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I hope the Dodgers brick the Ohtani pursuit. Would be the best thing to possibly happen to them.

Their two big spends recently were relatively safe ones -- Mookie and Freddie. Mookie's contract might suck on the back end, but he should at least produce throughout most of it. Dude was #2 in MVP voting in 2023, and Freddie was #3, so you can't complain there, even with their playoff choking.

Ohtani is a disaster waiting to happen. Why is a 2-way player so exciting if he's going to cost the same as two excellent single-way players? And he does nothing to address the Dodgers' biggest 2024 need -- starting pitching.

How often did you watch the 2023 Dodgers and say, "Wow... if only they could hit better..."

The offense basically won them 100 games despite failpitching.

So what's the solution? More offense and the prayer that player can pitch well after a series of major injuries? Oooooooooooook.

Dodgers should let Ohtani walk, and not even consider always-injured Trout.

Focus on Yamamoto, who is young and might really be something special. Then try to cobble together some starters around him, maybe Jordan Montgomery.
    I completely agree with you. (except Yamamoto)

I’m conflicted on the subject of Ohtani going to the Dodgers.

The Sanlmar that enjoys seeing the team annually ordained “best team in baseball” fail wants to see Ohtani signed to a $500m contract in LA.

The Sanlmar who has soaked in every moment appreciating the greatest player of my lifetime play wants Ohtani to go to a team that will go deep in the playoffs and cement Ohtani’s legacy forever. I’m sure he would crush the post season. The post season run needs to happen quickly for him too.

There ought to be a court ordered restraining order preventing the Dodgers pitching coaching staff within 500’ of his injured arm. It’s a human rights issue.

I don’t subscribe to the metric of needing a decade to somehow be important. Sadly, I don’t think Ohtani will last that long. That’s ok. I am still thunderstruck by Bo Jackson.

Ohtani is not going to the Braves. Would be spectacular but his salary would screw up every previous signing. He would be 2x Acuna, for instance. I think Albies would finally snap. Etc.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Why don't you agree about Yamamoto?

I actually drafted him as a reserve keeper in fantasy before anyone knew who he was. This will pay off big time in 2024 -- provided he goes to the NL, as it's an NL-only league!

Do you not think he's real? He's completely and totally dominating in Japan, and is young, so he has many good years ahead. Perhaps he will come to MLB and get crushed, but I really do think he is going to end up the third best Japanese player to come to MLB, behind Ohtani and Ichiro.

Load Metric
    Why don't you agree about Yamamoto?

I actually drafted him as a reserve keeper in fantasy before anyone knew who he was. This will pay off big time in 2024 -- provided he goes to the NL, as it's an NL-only league!

Do you not think he's real? He's completely and totally dominating in Japan, and is young, so he has many good years ahead. Perhaps he will come to MLB and get crushed, but I really do think he is going to end up the third best Japanese player to come to MLB, behind Ohtani and Ichiro.
    I haven’t dug deep tbh.

He’s likely 5’9” 175lb. (adjusted for inflation). He’s Lincecum except Lincecum was from another era. College pitchers are all 6’4” and above now.

He appears not to be a power pitcher. He’s a craftsman. The Dodgers would find it irresistible to get out the weighted balls and break this kid too.

I think your first year could be a real learning curve. Careful with fantasy

For some number obviously he’s valuable. The Dodgers have endless resources. Maybe value isn’t the issue. Dodgers obviously have (desperate?) pitching issues. For most teams it’s not wise.

I heard a funny comp to current Japanese Bauer somewhere. I was amused.

Load Metric
    Yamamoto is fools gold. Think a smaller Kikuchi. Would be very Dodger-ish to spend 17m/yr on a 5th starter. He is an appetizer until Sasaki can be posted.

Comments

Sanlmar: Not gonna lie. I was anxious to read your take.

Load Metric
    Montgomery is this generations Jack Morris. Not flashy, not cool, just goes out and gives quality innings and wins games.

Would be my main target right now if wanting a SP.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Yamamoto is fools gold. Think a smaller Kikuchi. Would be very Dodger-ish to spend 17m/yr on a 5th starter. He is an appetizer until Sasaki can be posted.
    I think Druff is probably a reflection of current LA fandom by virtue of Facebook groups and such. I find that interesting.

Yamamoto is a real thing out there. This is fun

I respect Druff and I love the Dodger conversation. I’m not being mean.

Load Metric
    On a more serious note.

Mariners trading Jared Kelenic to the Braves is beyond interesting and despite being a Braves admirer I have absolutely no understanding what just happened.

Mariners gave him away.

Do you think …… gosh, I hope not. Sad face

Comments

gut: Hmmmmm right?

Load Metric
    According to Ohtani’s agent Balelo the ONLY reason Ohtani is deferring compensation is to allow the Dodgers the opportunity to use the funds for player acquisition.

Not taxes or autism.

Contract language is specific as to how the savings are to be used.

An incredible gamble on the Dodgers in the hope of cementing himself as the greatest ever with the last piece of the puzzle - post season. He chose the club with singularly unique historic post season fail.

Of course, Ojtwni will be making less than Ausitn Barnes who Fraudman will no doubt keep despite his negative WAR.
    Gambling on Fraudman and the Dodgers with his only few years in the MLB is the height of lunacy.

Fraudman is about to cement his own legacy. I will be proven right at the expense of my love of Ohtani.

It’s all a damn shame

Ohtani and his agent should have signed with Atlanta. Who knew this loophole existed?

Can the contract be voided by MLB? I do not think it’s been inked. Let’s see.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    According to Ohtani’s agent Balelo the ONLY reason Ohtani is deferring compensation is to allow the Dodgers the opportunity to use the funds for player acquisition.

Not taxes or autism.

Contract language is specific as to how the savings are to be used.

An incredible gamble on the Dodgers in the hope of cementing himself as the greatest ever with the last piece of the puzzle - post season. He chose the club with singularly unique historic post season fail.

Of course, Ojtwni will be making less than Ausitn Barnes who Fraudman will no doubt keep despite his negative WAR.
    Gambling on Fraudman and the Dodgers with his only few years in the MLB is the height of lunacy.

Fraudman is about to cement his own legacy. I will be proven right at the expense of my love of Ohtani.

It’s all a damn shame

Ohtani and his agent should have signed with Atlanta. Who knew this loophole existed?

Can the contract be voided by MLB? I do not think it’s been inked. Let’s see.
    Atlanta?

You mean the big playoff chokers of the '90s and early 2000s, who once again are big playoff chokers, aside from one year?

Honestly they haven't been any better than the Dodgers, postseason-wise.

The Ohtani deferred payment news actually makes me feel better about his signing. First, it isn't fucking the team for the next decade, but instead does the reverse -- gives the Dodgers virtually free services from him during his tenure in LA, as well as time to plan to pay him off later.

Might this fuck the team somewhat when I'm in my golden years, watching the Dodgers front office prepare for 2043, at age 71? Possibly, but there's ways around this. They could even offer him ownership in the team at that point, in lieu of payment.

This is a MUCH better situation for Dodgers fans than what I thought -- 10 even payments of $70m per year, starting immediately, concurrent with Mookie's big contract, terminating near the same time. That would've sucked, especially about 5 years from now. This situation is much better.

Ohtani can also take up residence in another country starting 2034 (when he is assuming his career will be over anyway), and avoid taxes on this $700m. That's huge. He can avoid BOTH US federal income tax AND California income tax. Yes, resident aliens have to pay income tax on money earned in the US.

This deal benefits both Ohtani and the Dodgers. I do wonder if the US will change tax law regarding this matter, as it's a big loophole for athletes -- especially foreign ones -- to avoid paying US tax while playing for US teams.

I now believe there's a high chance they grab Yamamoto. They are also apparently talking about acquiring Tyler Glasnow from the Rays, who will make $25m in the final year with the Rays before he's a free agent. Glasnow has never pitched more than 120 innings, so I don't really love that plan, but I guess for one year, why not?

As it stands, the Dodgers only have 3 pitchers in the rotation -- Kershaw (maybe), Miller, and Pepiot, so they're 100% going to spend to improve that.

2024 is supposed to be the year they really go after it.

Comments

Sanlmar: Not one breath about inflation. Please fix

Thread Information