Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark April 2017 on your calendar as the month major corporations decided to pander to social justice warriors

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Mark April 2017 on your calendar as the month major corporations decided to pander to social justice warriors

So why are big corporations who sell products to people of all walks of life (and political views) trying to take a political position in their advertising?

I guess it's seen as the cool and hip thing to do, but to me it just comes off as pandering, and not just because it's being done from the left. I've always hated right-leaning pandering, as well.

In early April, Pepsi thought it was putting out a deep and soon-to-be-legendary ad featuring Kendall Jenner leaving a modeling shoot to join a pseudo-Black-Lives-Matter protest. At the crinegworthy end, she shares a Pepsi with a white, stone-faced cop, he smiles, and everyone cheers.

You could feel the arrogance of the producers coming through the screen. They really though they were making something cool, thought-provoking, socially aware, and uplifting. It's amazing that someone didn't step in at some point and raise the issue of how ridiculous it was -- especially the ending.

This commercial was indeed legendary -- legendarily tone-deaf -- as it accomplished the tough task of pissing off both the left AND the right.

The left found it to be offensive because it co-opted the Black Lives Matter movement to sell soft drinks, and then implied that complex race relation and police brutality issues could be solved with a can of Pepsi. Some even accused Pepsi of making the protest "look like Coachella", and that they were trying to portray resistance movements as the new cool place to be, rather than a serious fight against wrongs.

The right found it to be a glorification of the often violent and disruptive left-wing protest groups (whereas the group in the commerical was portrayed as docile, cool, and non-threatening), along with an obvious case of race-baiting. Every single police officer depicted was white, while most of the protesters were people of color.

Even Martin Luther King Jr's daughter hated it.

Pepsi quickly pulled the ad and apologized.

So was that it for politicized ads?

Not even close.

About a week ago, Heinken released this 4.5 minute ad, which shows a supposed social experiment of placing two strangers together with opposite political views, letting them work together building something, and then showing both of them (while standing together) videos of the other expressing their political viewpoints. At that point, they are given the option to either "discuss it over a beer" or to simply leave.

One of the right-wing guys pretends to leave the very passable transgender woman he had been working with (whom he had believed up until then was a regular woman), but then comes back and laughs that he was just kidding. Then it depicts all three pairs of people talking things out. By the end, everyone gets along, and the guy who pretended to leave even asks for the transgender woman's phone number, and even notes that he will "have to explain to my girlfriend why I'm texting another girl", indicating that he not only wants to befriend this transgender person, but also sees her as female (after stating the opposite in a video just hours earlier).

Heineken insists that this was an actual "experiment", and the people featured are not actors.

Unlike the Pepsi fiasco, this one was extremely well-received by the left.

Well, of course it was.

It shows right-wingers changing their minds to agree with the left-wingers, but not vice-versa. The left promotes this ad as an example of how people should just talk out their political differences calmly and understand one another. I agree that would have been a great message, but that's not the actual message here. The real message is that conservatives are not necessarily all bad people -- many are just a product of their upbringing.

Therefore, a friendly conversation between a conservative and a a leftist will break the spell, show conservatives how wrongheaded they are, and they will instantly become tolerant and understanding like those on the left are!

In short, it's telling the left that they're the correct ones, and they just need to approach conservatives in a more friendly manner in order to convert them.

I also don't believe the commercial features a real "experiment". These very much look like actors. Too many dramatic moments and perfectly dramatic pauses. All speech is clear, well-paced, and understandable -- no "ummms", mumbling, or fast-talking. Also, I don't buy the ending. It's understandable that a guy who thinks there's "only two genders" and doesn't accept trans people would be friendly to a trans person he got to know before realizing she was trans. However, it's unlikely he would ask for her phone number at the end, and then even mention that he will have to tell his girlfriend that he's "texting with another girl" -- thereby giving Heineken the perfect ending to the commercial showing how much he came around. It's also very convenient that the feminist wore a "Smash the Patriarchy" shirt to her video (but not to the experiment), and the shirt looked brand new.

I'd be shocked if this wasn't completely staged.

Finally, while the commercial focuses most on transgender acceptance, it depicts a very passable transgender woman who actually fooled the man working with her until the video came on screen. This is not common. Most male-to-female transgenders are not very passable, and are quite obvious when you see them. Even the ones who look female often suffer the problem of a deep male voice (think Caitlin Jenner), and this is something very difficult to correct through surgery or hormones. So of course they depict the right-wing guy quickly accepting the transgender woman as female, because it's very easy for the audience to accept, as well. If he was accepting a burly-looking dude in a dress with a deep voice as female, the viewer might feel creeped out and uncomfortable, but here we can all feel warm and fuzzy.

Why do people enjoy being pandered to?

Load Metric
    lol simmer down alex jones

Comments

PLOL: Lmao

JACKDANIELS: got him

Shizzmoney: swish

MumblesBadly: Druff was channeling Steven Crowder
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    lol simmer down alex jones
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    People have a misconception that big business is conservative. Big business goes which ever way the political wind blows and this is yet another example. I would do the same thing if I was running a big business. My goal is to make as much money as possible for the company and share holders, and I need to have the consumer on my side. If I ran a big business, I would happily apologize for something i knew wasn't the companies fault if I thought it would overall benefit the companies bottom line. When big business appears to have integrity ,and doesn't back down, a lot of the time that is also a calculated move with the idea more people will applaud them for not backing down and thus more revenue.

Comments

MumblesBadly: :this
    :freelewfather

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    You're going to see a lot more of this in the coming months, until the left finally realizes they're being manipulated by big corporations, and then there will be enough backlash to where this stops.

Actually maybe there won't be a backlash.

Six months later, and most on the left still think they lost the election because of Russia.

Load Metric

Comments

PLOL: Omg

gimmick:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    People have a misconception that big business is conservative. Big business goes which ever way the political wind blows and this is yet another example. I would do the same thing if I was running a big business. My goal is to make as much money as possible for the company and share holders, and I need to have the consumer on my side. If I ran a big business, I would happily apologize for something i knew wasn't my fault if I thought it would overall benefit the company. When big business appears to have integrity ,and doesn't back down, a lot of the time that is also a calculated move with the idea more people will applaud them for not backing down and thus more revenue.
    I'm just surprised they are even trying to go there.

If a politically-charged commercial resonates with the left, it will probably piss off the right, and vice-versa.

The Heineken commercial tried to make it look like they were coming from the "let's all get along" center, but I think enough will see through it to where this will still bother people on the right.

I always felt the safest move for corporations was to just ignore politics completely and sell their product.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    There was a time when the Left were the ones packing the machine guns.

Name:  IMG_0006.JPG
Views: 351
Size:  72.6 KB

Comments

LarryLaffer: patty hearst rep

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Pepsi should have stuck to hippie-tinged commercials which don't try too hard to send an actual message. Like Coke did in 1971.

On a side note, the "young people" featured in this commercial are now senior citizens.

Comments

JohnCommode: No. Senior citizens? That's not possible.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    These corporation are scared to death they will be called racists and get protested by the army of left wing media set out to destroy their very existence. So they will cave like the pussies they are instead of doing what is right for the business. This is no way helps their bottom line and probably hurts it, but the damage that could be done by them being branded racist is much worse, so they take the bitch way out.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Fortunately for Pepsi, less than a week after this fiasco, a certain airline beat a certain doctor for not giving up his seat, and suddenly nobody was talking about the Pepsi ad anymore.

United did for Pepsi what 9/11 did for Gary Condit.

Comments

Daniel72:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    My goal is to make as much money as possible for the company....
    Oh my God. How dare you Sir.

Load Metric
    Id like to eat the ass out of Kylie Jenner

Comments

hongkonger: Leaving me to eat out the pussy. Very generous of you sir.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    You're going to see a lot more of this in the coming months, until the left finally realizes they're being manipulated by big corporations, and then there will be enough backlash to where this stops.

Actually maybe there won't be a backlash.

Six months later, and most on the left still think they lost the election because of Russia.

where are the stats on that statement

i would think most democrats would wonder why more votes eqates to losing

The United States is alone among major countries in that self-interested politicians govern the redistricting process.[10]:820 Various political and legal remedies have been used or proposed to diminish or prevent gerrymandering in the country.

Gold
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    Social media ruined the world. Gave any and every idiot the freedom to make an ass out of themselves. Nobody gives a fuck what n-word King's n-word daughter cares about, believe me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    Social media ruined the world. Gave any and every idiot the freedom to make an ass out of themselves. Nobody gives a fuck what n-word King's n-word daughter cares about, believe me.

Youre a lot closer to the mark than you probably think.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    I fucking hate advertisers who pander so a targeted audience in order to get them to buy a product.
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by PLOL View Post
    I fucking hate advertisers who pander so a targeted audience in order to get them to buy a product.
    Pander to one portion of the audience (who might know you're pandering and get angry) and alienate the other portion?

Doesn't sound too bright to me.

How did it work out for Pepsi?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Kendall Jenner whiffed it big time in April, first with this disasterous ad, and then promoting Fyre Fest on her Instagram.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...-fyre-festival

Thread Information