Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: *** Official MLB Playoffs 2016 Thread ***

Load Metric
    Anyone else regret not taking 22 to 1 on the Giants before tonight?

Biggest bet of 2016 tonight and MadBum delivered.

Sanlmar I can't say it enough. Tried preaching to buddies at the bar watching the game. Bumgarner has to be the best post season player ever. He brings it up 1000 notches and just doesn't lose.

He pretty much guarantees you 2 wins a series.

Comments

Sanlmar: Greatest post season pitcher

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin Micunt View Post
    These umps are terrible for both teams. Home plate ump has missed numerous pitches.
    There was a particular at bat with a runner on 2nd 2 outs and pence at the plate. in the first 5 pitches thrown he got 2 right and missed the strike 3 call running the count full instead before pence grounded out

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Catcher didn't help the umpire

Sawks have a kid Vasquez, for example, that is god framing pitches.

You'll see him soon
    Yes, couldn't agree more.

On the other side of the game Posey was his usual awesome self. He led the league in pitch framing this year with 28 runs saved, shedding something like .2 runs a game defensively and that's before you factor in how he calls a game and handles a staff. Pitch framing is the main reason he was worth 7.6 bWAR this year, the third most valuable player in baseball behind Kris Bryant and Mike Trout.

He and Yasmani Grandal (27 runs saved) are in a league of their own. That's three wins on pitch framing alone they provided for their teams. BP had Grandal at 6.7 WAR, a top ten position player in all of baseball.

It definitely matters.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/sortable/index.php

Comments

lvpkr1009: Nice stats rep

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Ump has been terrible.

I somewhat blame the Dodgers for the Giants going to the NLDS. They shouldn't have allowed themselves to get swept at the end of the season.

They will probably get destroyed by the Cubs anyway, but it's the postseason, and the Cubs don't exactly have a stellar record there, so you never know.
    I want to see Giants vs Dodgers for the pennant. Kershaw vs Bumgarner for 3 games.

Load Metric
    I was thinking about the Dodgers vs Nats. Something just hit me. It's 2:30am so I can't flesh this out.

Some background for Henry. I got this recurring Dodgers Red Sox rap that basically says, big money teams' worst opponent is themselves.

Molly Knight wrote "The Best Team Money Can Buy" a book about the Dodgers. Before that I read a piece by her for ESPN.

Central to the piece was the idea that in a post-Moneyball (Michael Lewis my favorite) world, injury risk assessment is the final frontier.

So the Dodgers hire this guy Conte who is at the forefront of a Sabremetric attempt to analyze injury risk etc.

Zaidi & Friedman don't really know how to play in the first level market. They want to screw around with math & value.

So they take what they think is a measured risk with many players who have a history of injury. Boom! Druff is writing posts lamenting Dodgers injuries this year (and their winning despite this.) Variance lulz

Maybe not.

Anyway, my guess is no team has devoted more resources to the injury question and the results are very Dodger-like.

I can now sleep peacefully.

Comments

Henry: I'm fascinated by processes, variance and the fact our reality happens once. You must be too. You like baseball, poker, and the money markets.

Load Metric
    Decent start Jay's.

Best revenge they could ask for.

Load Metric
    Cleveland with the numerous solo shots and won 5-4.

Sox need to rebound in Game 2.
    "I hit that shot because it was a defining moment and when a defining moment comes along, you either define the moment or the moment defines you" Roy "Tin Cup" Mcevoy

Load Metric
    Is this The Official MLB World Series Thread??

If so..... Bow to the Best Ever!!

Load Metric
    BTW Dusty gets his first Championship!!!

Stay Tuned

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by badguy23 View Post
    BTW Dusty gets his first Championship!!!

Stay Tuned

RAZZZZOORRRRRRRRRRR RRAMMMMMMMMMOONNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEE
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    Name:  
Views: 
Size:

Comments

Henry: Terry with a playoff WAR of 1

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Anyway, my guess is no team has devoted more resources to the injury question and the results are very Dodger-like.
    My thoughts are the variance broke negatively for the Dodgers this year.

Check out this chart with the projected FIPs of Ryu, McCarthy, Anderson. There's no doubt when these guys are on the field they're effective.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-...otations-1-15/

Preseason, they were projected to have the 2nd best staff in the league (actual 4th). They had 9 starters projected to add a half win+ to the team (three more than any other team). Druff wasn't calling Brett Anderson a failpitcher in 2015 after the Dodgers signed him to 1yr/10mil coming off major back surgery and he proceeded to give them 31 highly effective starts.

The Rays can't risk paying an injured pitcher money, even if they recognize he's undervalued on the market, but the Dodgers can. The depth is a whole separate thing from the injured FA thing and the depth thing paid off (again).

Random thoughts:

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    (Let's say) for Kershaw's 34 starts the Dodgers win 70% of their games going 24-10. Team B has two aces, and Team B wins 60% of their games when they're on the mound. That's 20-14 + 20-14 = 40-28. The Dodgers need to go 16-18 with another starter to match Team B. This is the power of Kershaw.
    - Since 2000 the Cardinals have won 52% of their postseason games (65-60). The value of getting into the playoffs every year.

- Red Sox go from around 60% series favorites to about 40% with the loss. Their WS odds went from 18% to 11%.

Comments

ToasterOven: henry doing work
    Last edited by Henry; 10-07-2016 at 11:32 AM.

Load Metric
    Best pitching matchup all MLB playoffs is in the NLDS.

Can't get any better then Dodgers Keisha's against 20G winner and nearly 300Ks from Max Scherzer. Hopefully these guys will match up twice in this series. This clearly will likely be the best pitching head to head matchup we will see this October.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    Decent start Jay's.

Best revenge they could ask for.
    These fuckers are blind.
    btw, I've got an original authenticated non Chinese, signed and DNA confirmed Jose Bautista jersey for sale

Last edited by limitles; 10-07-2016 at 03:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Who would've thought there would be 7 runs in a Kershaw-Scherzer matchup in the 4th?

Keep in mind that the O/U for the game was 6!

Kershaw looking awful today, just has no command at all.

Scherzer looking better than Kershaw, but he's made a few dumb pitches (most notably that bad curveball to Justin Turner, smacked for a 2-run HR), so Dodgers are barely up 4-3 after taking a 4-0 lead.

I know Kershaw has a big ego and it's hard to take him out and piss him off (or make him doubt himself for the rest of the playoffs), but if the Dodgers don't get him out soon, they will lose.

This year's bullpen is good, so it's not like other years where they had to fear a fail bullpen blowing the game.

I don't think this is just Kershaw having postseason issues. I think he isn't fully healthy.

The FS1 announcers are awful, blaming Kershaw's lack of command on Grandal. Come on.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Funny how Andrew Toles was working in a grocery store a year ago, and now he's in the MLB playoffs.

That's the sort of story you would have heard 50-100 years ago, but not in 2016. You have to really be resigned to your baseball career being absolutely dead if you're working in a grocery store.

Toles with two good rips already today, one of which fell for a hit.

Comments

ToasterOven: those stories are the best

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Utley brings a great intensity and baseball smarts to the game, and he can still hit, but boy has his defense been bad today.

That's the last thing you want when the pitcher isn't on his game.

Scherzer is looking really good now. Dodgers better get Kershaw out of there and hope they can contain the Nationals for the rest of the game.

Ever since Turner's HR, Scherzer became himself again. Seems like he had the postseason jitters up to that point, but I don't think he's giving up much now.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Sawks getting manhandled by Cleveland.

How weird would an Indians/Cubs World Series be?

Comments

Shizzmoney: the meteor would hit the Earth a week later

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Justin Turner had just 2 AB as a reserve in the 2014 postseason, and went 0-for-2.

Since then (2015/2016), he's just 12-for-21 with 6 doubles and a HR.

Wow.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Given Utley's LOL .154 average against lefties, I would have taken him out with 2 out, 2 on in the 7th, given the Dodgers' 1-run lead. It's not like you need him for his defense.

Put in a righty PH who at least has a chance, even if that causes the Nats to put in a right handed pitcher to face him.

This just seemed like an automatic out. I mean, they even walked Puig just to get to him, and it was the correct move.

I think sometimes managers go overboard with switches due to left/right matchup, sometimes taking out a hot pitcher or hitter just because of the matchup, but in this case it was warranted.

9 outs left. Hopefully Dodgers hold on. I knew they wouldn't be getting any more offense once Scherzer settled down, though they might tack on a little bit more against the bullpen.

Comments

Henry:

Thread Information