Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: *** Official MLB Playoffs 2016 Thread ***

Load Metric

*** Official MLB Playoffs 2016 Thread ***

Let's start it early

Redsox vs Cubs...Redsox in 6
    "I hit that shot because it was a defining moment and when a defining moment comes along, you either define the moment or the moment defines you" Roy "Tin Cup" Mcevoy

Load Metric
    Those 2 teams net in 1918. Babe Ruth pitched for the Sox and shut out the Cubs in one of the games.

Comments

Tegnation22: Baseball History Rep

herbertstemple: TY. Did not know that.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tegnation22 View Post
    Let's start it early

Looking that way as a matchup. Or Indians.

On no planet would the Sawks beat Cubs.
    Better starting rotation
    Better relief
    Dimwit Farrell vs Joe Maddon
    Dumbo vs Theo

Offense is for regular season in most sports

Comments

Flipper_Fair: Tribe rep

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Let's start it early

Looking that way as a matchup. Or Indians.

On no planet would the Sawks beat Cubs.
    Better starting rotation
    Better relief
    Dimwit Farrell vs Joe Maddon
    Dumbo vs Theo

Offense is for regular season in most sports
    Anything is possible in the fall classic...the dog days of summer are over.

The Redsox rotation is finding it's groove. Porcello and wright have pitched well, price is finding his spots, pomeranz is efficient, and erod is hit or miss.

Offense slugs. Bullpen is shaky.

I believe they have the pedigree to make a solid run in the fall classic. Don't count them out.
    "I hit that shot because it was a defining moment and when a defining moment comes along, you either define the moment or the moment defines you" Roy "Tin Cup" Mcevoy

Load Metric
    Wright, the knuckleballer, was having a special year. He was the number one pitcher first half. All Star team. Career year.

Knuckle ball is such an eclectic and difficult thing. It works or it doesn't. Remember RA Dickey? He had such a year.

I have an idea. Why not use Wright as a pinch runner? Ok, it was not mine but Farrell's idea.

Injured his pitching shoulder.

I do not expect Wright to find his old form while being impaired. Even if his shoulder is 90%.

Mgr Farrell is a special idiot. If he didn't get cancer last fall he would have been fired. Now we have a cancer in the dugout.

So you have Porcello, Price and... and.... hmm ERod? Then what?

The pedigree you talk about works for the Cubs now, Theo Epstein. Or the Indians, Franconia. Sawks have a Dombrowski bullpen (Tigers)

Sawks lost 1-0 tonight. Pitching trumps hitting. Porcello v Gausman

They are a regular season offensive juggernaut. Tournament baseball is a different game than regular season. Sawks hit enough to make a run but it will catch up with them as they consistently meet better and better playoff pitching as they go deeper.

If you think baseball playoffs are just a lottery look at the last 10 years of World Series winners and runner ups. Remarkable how the same names keep popping up, huh?

You been reading Druff's Dodger baseball variance rationalization. When you believe in things you don't understand. Superstition and variance.

Load Metric
    Sanlmar, I may be mistaken, but I thought you were from Boston?

Load Metric
    I have a lot of Cubs fans friends, so I hope that they win the World Series this year. The whole city of Chicago would be so happy.

But it would also be hilarious if the Red Sox beat the Cubs in a heartbreaking game 7, like blowing a 5 run lead in the 8th inning.

Comments

Tegnation22: Fuck the Cubs, they are the Cowboys of MLB.

Load Metric
    This is true.

The greatest, most brutal and intelligent fans in the country. Boston sports talk is god. The relentless negativity. Every mistake triggers hostility. The merciless grilling each player must bear. So many players simply can't take it.

Druff's AGon couldn't hack it in Boston. No heart. He was weak. LA, where no one really gives a shit, is the right venue for him.

Tune in today and I guarantee you would have heard Tom Brady trade talk. When will Belichick retire. Fantastic.

Comments

Tegnation22: :SFtrue

Load Metric
    The Boston media has destroyed many careers with the non stop explatory questions, bashing, and nuclear missile articles.

You have to have thick skin and shut out the media in boston, it really is sad.

I am from Massachusetts and I will say this, while we do have a strong fan base in all the major sports, a high percentage of fans are imbeciles and fair weather fans. If an organization is going through a rough season they will trash and bash the team. Then once thy turn it around back on the bandwagon they go.

So Sanlmar, I take it you aren't a sox fan? Why may I ask.

Load Metric
    I am grateful they are relevant. I certainly have had a lot of fun watching them. Lotta exciting nights.

I get more enjoyment trying to divine why you see the team you do. The organization and the front office is fascinating.

We traded Babe Ruth, right?

First, I recommend 2 books:

Name:  
Views: 
Size:

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 452
Size:  70.9 KB

The Red Sox in the past 20 years have done some cynical stuff. For instance, big business in a big market resulted in trades and decisions that were done for marketing reasons. Not baseball reasons.

President & CEO Larry Lucchino. Pure manipulative political ego. You remember Theo Epstein resigning and sneaking out of the Fenway offices in a gorilla suit? He hated the front office. The Red Sox drove him out of town. Theo is a lock for Hall of Fame as a baseball executive. So many facts. So much greatness. 9 of the starting players in this years All Star game were drafted by Theo.

Drove a baseball genius out of town.

The Red Sox win despite the organization.

Terry Francona was driven out of town after winning 2 World Series. Red Sox didn't just fire him but released private stories about his divorce and use of pain medication to discredit him. Francona wrote a book whose aim was to trash the Red Sox. Great great inside stuff. It has some wonderful Red Sox player stories too. Top top.

My kid played baseball one summer with Dan Duquette's kid before college. I got to sit the stands all summer next to Duquette. He was the Red Sox GM before Theo Epstein and engineered the World Series team that broke the curse. Built the farm system from nothing. Resurrected the previously awful Orioles.

Always a gentlemen and diplomatic but great stories. He too got fucked over by the Sox. Couldn't find work for several years cause the Red Sox blackballed him.

Farrell is a horrifying manager. Inept. He gets cancer last fall. Last place team. Sawks marketing thinks fans would be appalled if he is fired. Marketing decision. The bench coach takes the same team and immediately goes on the run of all time. Team is all rookies and kids. It is well known (even from Toronto) that Farrell sucks with young players. Why do I gotta suffer through losing? Marketing vs winning.

The Pablo Sandoval Panda marketing move. What a bunch of bullshit. There is a closet full of Pandas somewhere that will never see the light of day.

The Dodgers book is excellent too. Story of an inept organization. Many similarities. Sawks are more vile than inept.

Crippled and old Ortiz keeps producing. Hanley Ramirez is unexpectedly great. Lotta lucky breaks. So the offense gets retarded.

There is much improvement . Admittedly Lucchino got put on ice. Cherington's got canned. Dumbrowski parked the fat loser Panda and his fat contract. Owner John Henry has shut his mouth and ceased his amateur involvement in player decisions.

Hate dies hard. But it's fun.

Comments

Tegnation22: Agree on Farrell...if he doesn't get cancer. He's out of a job.

Load Metric
    i have zero cashes
    Hi Lew!!!

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Sanlmar likes to hate on Adrian Gonzalez, but he just wasn't a fit in Boston.

Look at his numbers with the Dodgers since he played his first full season in 2013. Every year very productive, and he was especially clutch (especially in '13 and '14) when you needed a late-inning base hit out of him.

He's lost a step in 2016, but still hitting .289/17/79 with a .351 OBP.

Even plays solid defense.

Only knock against him is his lack of speed on the basepaths, but that can be said about many top hitters.

Sanlmar also mocked the Dodgers for getting shut out by the Yankees on Tuesday, but this is a team with a lot of legitimate HR threats in the lineup, and a legit superstar in Corey Seager.

Kershaw seems to be rounding back into form since the injury, and Rich Hill has been lights out since he came off the DL.

This Dodgers team was actually constructed to be middling in 2016 while they waited for some bad salaries to fall off in the coming 2 years, but they're going to likely win 92 games and be right there as a legit World Series contender. Amazingly, they did it while missing Kershaw for 2+ months, as well as tons of other key injuries.

Dodgers will be facing the Cubs in the NLCS if everything goes as it appears.

Admittedly, the Cubs will be tough, especially with Lester pitching like a superstar now.

The Dodgers will be countering with Kershaw, Hill, and Maeda, so they have plenty of starting pitching arms to counter.

The Cubs are the favorite, but don't be surprised if the Dodgers are back in the World Series this year.

Comments

Tegnation22:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Sanlmar likes to hate on Adrian Gonzalez, but he just wasn't a fit in Boston.

Look at his numbers with the Dodgers since he played his first full season in 2013. Every year very productive, and he was especially clutch (especially in '13 and '14) when you needed a late-inning base hit out of him.

He's lost a step in 2016, but still hitting .289/17/79 with a .351 OBP.

Even plays solid defense.

Only knock against him is his lack of speed on the basepaths, but that can be said about many top hitters.

Sanlmar also mocked the Dodgers for getting shut out by the Yankees on Tuesday, but this is a team with a lot of legitimate HR threats in the lineup, and a legit superstar in Corey Seager.

Kershaw seems to be rounding back into form since the injury, and Rich Hill has been lights out since he came off the DL.

This Dodgers team was actually constructed to be middling in 2016 while they waited for some bad salaries to fall off in the coming 2 years, but they're going to likely win 92 games and be right there as a legit World Series contender. Amazingly, they did it while missing Kershaw for 2+ months, as well as tons of other key injuries.

Dodgers will be facing the Cubs in the NLCS if everything goes as it appears.

Admittedly, the Cubs will be tough, especially with Lester pitching like a superstar now.

The Dodgers will be countering with Kershaw, Hill, and Maeda, so they have plenty of starting pitching arms to counter.

The Cubs are the favorite, but don't be surprised if the Dodgers are back in the World Series this year.
    hope so about the Dodgers, but i'll be surprised if they get past the Nationals even though the Nats have mostly right handed pitchers as starters...those 2 teams are on collision course and will have fully scouted each other by playoff time

btw, Roberts has been Captain Hook with his pitchers the last few weeks...at least he is rounding into playoff shape
    (long before there was a PFA i had my Grenade & Crossbones avatar at DD)

Load Metric
    This is true.

The greatest, most brutal and intelligent fans in the country. Boston sports talk is god. The relentless negativity. Every mistake triggers hostility. The merciless grilling each player must bear. So many players simply can't take it.

Druff's AGon couldn't hack it in Boston. No heart. He was weak. LA, where no one really gives a shit, is the right venue for him.

Tune in today and I guarantee you would have heard Tom Brady trade talk. When will Belichick retire. Fantastic.

Name:  ea3rfnqazfzjnocz9elv.gif
Views: 424
Size:  287.7 KB

Load Metric
    Overdue. My father was born in 1948. Of course, no one here's father was born in 1908.

Name:  wpid-cleveland_indians_championship_banner_47368big.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  52.9 KB

Load Metric
    Name:  majorleague3-charliesheen.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  107.7 KB

Comments

Tegnation22: Wild Thing Rep

Load Metric
    Its an even numbered year so if SF makes the play offs, might as well cancel every thing else.

My grandfather was born in 1876. My google search for sports banners from 1876 comes up dry.

Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Overdue. My father was born in 1948. Of course, no one here's father was born in 1908.

Name:  wpid-cleveland_indians_championship_banner_47368big.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  52.9 KB

Load Metric
    This is true.

lol, that's insane. Patriots fans remind me of Packers fans, acting all high and mighty because their teams have been crushing it in the NFL in recent years. However, both teams sucked for decades, no one was picking the Packers to win the Super Bowl before the season started in the 80's. One day there will be no Belichick or Brady or Rodgers and their little utopia will come crashing down. learn to swim

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by nunbeater View Post

lol, that's insane. Patriots fans remind me of Packers fans, acting all high and mighty because their teams have been crushing it in the NFL in recent years. However, both teams sucked for decades, no one was picking the Packers to win the Super Bowl before the season started in the 80's. One day there will be no Belichick or Brady or Rodgers and their little utopia will come crashing down. learn to swim
    That's exactly my point. I think the decades of losing and the sophisticated nature of New Englanders combine to hone our cynicism and hate to the point where we do not act high and mighty. That's the fellowship of the miserable that we pride ourselves in.

I have a buddy who is a pretty serious collector. He had a room built out to look like Fenway. I made up a framed picture of Cam Newton with a $100 bill that I set on his coffee table. It was a bet that Newton not Brady would win MVP. Sat there for weeks as a source of good trash talk and torment.

This guy is such a great target for me.

Views: 687
Size:  1.64 MB

Views: 665
Size:  2.02 MB

Views: 647
Size:  2.02 MB

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    *does handstand*

great pics, sal.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chaps' 2017-18 NFL $$ Thread

Thread Information