Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pokeman Go . Hilarious and Sad

Load Metric
    Full grown men at my work play this game. I'm in shock. Who's making all the money from this app? Very good idea. Trend setter type.

Load Metric
    Maybe sonatine should get into pokemon go so he doesn't look so creepy when he's near little kids.

Comments

Krypt: fuck. you back for real?

dwai: jsizzle

LegallyNonBindingPosts: pfa's village idiot. you know first hand all about herpes. and you keep coming back and shitpost when no one wants you
    "Druff would suck his own dick if it were long enough"- Brandon "drexel" Gerson

"ann coulter literally has more common sense than pfa."-Sonatine

"Real grinders supports poker fraud"- Ray Davis

"DRILLED HER GOOD"- HONGKONGER

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SysOp View Post
    Full grown men at my work play this game. I'm in shock. Who's making all the money from this app? Very good idea. Trend setter type.

Yeah I'm trying to understand how this app added 17bn to Nintendo's stock.. where exactly does it make them money?
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Apparently micro-transactions at 99c a pop, and $30 watch devices that vibrate when pokemon are near.
    Businesses spending $150 a time to build "lures" to have pokemon spawn and donks to hunt them.

Comments

sonatine: "microtransactions" got it

Henry: Wow

dwai:
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by zealanddonk View Post
    Businesses spending $150 a time to build "lures" to have pokemon spawn and donks to hunt them.
    I don't mind the add ons but businesses buying lures is so cynical.

Nothing is pure. Facebook data harvesting and monetization lessons learned.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Pretty easy to see where they monetize, imo.

My experience is with Ingress, Niantic's first game. They sponsored the game and got in-game items named after them. MUFG Bank, SoftBank, Lawson among these. They also have sponsors that, like the Pokemon stuff being mentioned here, draws people to their businesses. ZipCar, MUFG, JambaJuice, Circle K, etc all have in-game 'portals' at their locations.

Not to mention that they were using all of this player GPS information to update and improve the Google Maps engine. Remember John Hanke was a huge part of Google Earth before forming Niantic Labs. Now that Niantic is on its own, I'm sure they can sell this info back to Google, or any other mapping/whatever company barring a non-compete clause.

Gold
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    I always caution about trying to feel you are above certain forms of entertainment. Reason being you come across as pretentious, narrow minded, and always a hypocrite. Looking at activities value based solely on utility is a very narrow way to view the world. On top of that pokemon go likely has more utility than many other common activities like playing video games, watching tv shows/sports, or spending time with a pet. In the end who really cares what someone does for fun? I find if someone doesn't enjoy something that is considered popular they need to find some way to justify it, as if somehow that not enjoying a said activity could make them feel there is something wrong with them. So they try and justify how terrible it is and that the people who like it have something wrong with themselves instead. And yes I realize we all do this to some extent, whether it be making fun of certain sports, movies, mainstream music ect.

/end rant

Anyways....

I've played pokemon go. It's a cool concept merging real life locations with video games. It's hardly novel but the first big app to get attention. And of course having backing of a huge Nintendo franchise is great. I'm barely level 7 and honestly don't know how much more time I will spend but its fun to do while going for walks with gf. It's kinda cool that the first pokestop I found was the Air India memorial or that I called a co worker to let her know that the mural her 12 year old daughter painted was featured as a stop. It's these social moments of discovery that make the game the most worthwhile. Gamewise it is kinda bland and has a shitty pay to win model. I think there is huge room for improvement. But if people enjoy it what's the big deal?

You can call people nerdy for going off into the park to find pokemon but in my mind its no different than when I chase a puck around a hockey rink (which aside from physical value is objectively more absurd IMO).

Comments

gimmick:

SrslySirius:

dwai:

Hockey Guy: You had me until that last line. Now you're dead to me.
    Last edited by BetCheckBet; 07-19-2016 at 01:30 PM.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    I always caution about trying to feel you are above certain forms of entertainment. Reason being you come across as pretentious, narrow minded, and always a hypocrite. Looking at activities value based solely on utility is a very narrow way to view the world. On top of that pokemon go likely has more utility than many other common activities like playing video games, watching tv shows/sports, or spending time with a pet. In the end who really cares what someone does for fun? I find if someone doesn't enjoy something that is considered popular they need to find some way to justify it, as if somehow that not enjoying a said activity could make them feel there is something wrong with them. So they try and justify how terrible it is and that the people who like it have something wrong with themselves instead. And yes I realize we all do this to some extent, whether it be making fun of certain sports, movies, mainstream music ect.
    Very well said.

As for pay to win, I normally hate the model, but in this case I think it's fine. You need some way to level the playing field for people with jobs that can't grind this game all day every day. As long as the game is still playable for free, and the purchases aren't overpowered, I think it's a fair system.

Diamond Pro Zap_the_Fractions_Giraffe's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I don't understand how it's fun. You go to a place and take a picture and it shops a cartoon dinosaur into the picture?

Load Metric
    LOL

Get the fuck outta here. After years of people spending their time sitting on their ass crushing candy, flinging birds at pigs, and using snapchat to give themselves dog ears; an app comes out that gets people out of their house and walking around in pubic, and the people who do THAT are losers? You must have some much more important shit to do with your life, like sit on your ass and complain about Pokemon Go on the internet!

Load Metric
    Name:  CnormK1W8AAe5T1.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  148.6 KB

Comments

sonatine: i came

wrenchjockey: lol should be framed.

gimmick:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SysOp View Post

Yeah I'm trying to understand how this app added 17bn to Nintendo's stock.. where exactly does it make them money?
    Shares of Nintendo Co (7974.T) tumbled as much as 18 percent early on Monday after the company said smash-hit mobile game Pokemon GO would have only a limited impact on its earnings.

Nintendo said after the market closed on Friday that it had already factored in anticipated revenues from its Pokemon GO Plus device - an accessory worn on the wrist to alert players of nearby monsters to catch - and that it had no plans to revise its annual earnings forecasts for now.

Nintendo said its affiliate Pokemon Co receives licensing and fees from the game's developer, Niantic Inc, and that profits at Nintendo from those revenues would be limited.

The company, which owns 32 percent of Pokemon Co, is due to report first-quarter earnings on Wednesday.

The phenomenal success of Pokemon GO has triggered massive buying in Nintendo shares and even with Monday's decline, the shares are still up some 60 percent compared with levels prior to the game's July 6 launch in the United States, Australia and New Zealand.

Nintendo shares were down 17.6 percent in mid-morning trade, a slide of 4,965 yen - just shy of the daily limit of 5,000 yen for the stock.

Oh!

Comments

Sanlmar: Mania lulz
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post

Lord have mercy, is Alex Jones really this stupid?

he can't even fucking pronounce POKEMON (he kept saying "pockeymon")

does he ever change out of that fuckin suit?

Actually, is Alex Jones retarded, or autistic in any way?

all in all i give this a 1/7 for conspiracy theory

and i give it a 5/7 for hilarity

carry on now.

edit:

If you've ever seen They Live, he seriously sounds like the professor that tells everyone about the aliens through the pirate tv broadcasts.

Comments

Mintjewlips: lol at a loser who depends on grandmas to survive, criticizing a guy that made millions off tin foil hats
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Load Metric
    god fucking hell mate..

Load Metric
    I'm sure there will be a bunch of copycat phone based AR games, but that doesn't interest me.

On Thursday, I went to see Nolan Bushnell, founder of Atari and Chuck E Cheese speak. He's excited about an AR headset that comes out next year, and its impact on tabletop games. In tabletop games, you have information available to everyone, primarily the board, any pieces on the board and face up cards. Private information is usually in the form of face down cards. He envisions everyone wearing a headset so that public, private, and team based information could be displayed. He was most excited about the team thing, because it's pretty awkward to implement now.

https://gfycat.com/ColossalMistyHornedtoad

Comments

Mintjewlips: i knew this was a shit post when you started with "i went to see nolan bushnell, founder of atari and chuckee cheese", because nolan really has his finger on the pulse

LarryLaffer: austism speaks dot org offset

Diamond
    Load Metric
    I was in central park the other day and lo and behold there is sonatine up in this bitch chomping on some $6 terrorist chicken platter playing Pokemon Go.

He obviously wasn't running anywhere...welll cause... look at him...

Name:  rsz_20160830_222139.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  569.9 KB

Sweet fupa and messenger bag

Comments

big dick: At least he isn't a faggot, faggot.

Load Metric
    I didn't realize that playing a game with my 8 year old was considered faggot.

Load Metric
    i've only been to NYC one time, and I don't remember central park having buildings in it.

Comments

MumblesBadly: There's a restaurant on the west side of it... (Tavern on the Green?)

Kuntmissioner: There are various structures located throughout the park
    "Winning is the most important thing in my life, after breathing. Breathing first, winning next."

George Steinbrenner

Thread Information