Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would Druff do? Sears Auto edition

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anchordraw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post
    Sears Auto? Who the hell takes their car there?
    I went there for some break work. It's less than I mile away, and next to mall. I declined over 1K worth of extra repairs they wanted to do, but they did fix the brakes. I was surprised they had almost no customers.
    My bet is that if Druff had an old beater that broke down where the only option for repairs was Sears Auto, he would instead arrange for the car to be donated to a charity for a healthy tax write-off, and successfully negotiate to get the charity to arrange the tow that day, all the while arranging for a free rental car to be delivered to him courtesy of his credit card bonus whoring.
    I actually hope this [second impeachment] succeeds, because I want Trump put down politically like a sick, 14-year-old dog. ... I don't want him complicating the 2024 primary season. I just want him done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Were Republicans cowardly or unethical not to go along with [convicting Trump in the second impeachment Senate trial]? No. The smart move was to reject it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    You were 100% in the right.

This is the reason mechanics have to give you a written estimate.

In this case, they needed to have you sign that the cost was $150 and that you were refusing the recommended alternator work.

They did work on your car after you told them not to.

You got scammed.

I hope you charged this on a credit card. Dispute it, stating they did work without authorization, and tell the story.

You should also call back, demand the manager of Sears Auto, and demand a full refund. If he won't budge, next talk to the Sears general manager, then keep moving up the chain.

You can also sue them in small claims and threaten to post a copy of your successful lawsuit on websites warning people not to do business with them.

You are in fairly good shape because they have nothing from you signed that you were refusing the alternator prior to work starting, so unless they deny the entire alternator story, you would win.

The cops should not have pressure you to pay, as you were scammed. Either you dealt with a moron, or you didn't explain it well enough.

Load Metric
    I'm not sure you were being "scammed" as I wasn't there like Druff but there is an easy way to check your alternator.

1. Find the alternator & make sure the belt is tight enough.
    2. Start the engine.
    3. Take something made of metal, a wrench works fine, & hold 1 end of it just in front of the shiv as the alternator is spinning. If the wrench gets magnetized to the center of the shiv then your alternator should be fine. There may still be a wiring issue downstream of the alternator preventing the battery from getting charged but it's an easy way to check the alternators function.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    I'm not sure you were being "scammed" as I wasn't there like Druff but there is an easy way to check your alternator.

2. Start the engine.
    3. Take something made of metal, a wrench works fine, & hold 1 end of it just in front of the shiv as the alternator is spinning. If the wrench gets magnetized to the center of the shiv then your alternator should be fine. There may still be a wiring issue downstream of the alternator preventing the battery from getting charged but it's an easy way to check the alternators function.
    I wasn't referring to just the alternator as a scam (though that might also be).

The fact that they performed work after he said not to do it, and then demanded payment (plus pressured him to buy the alternator as well) -- that's the scam.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post

2. Start the engine.
    If he knew how to do all of this he wouldn't have brought it to sears/a shop in the 1st place.
    I agree with druff he got scammed and they were doing their best to fuck him out of more money.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    When I have had used cars, I never went to chain store mechanic,s.. Midas or Sears.. over priced garbage..

U should find a find a good locally owned shop..

My Pontiac g6 gt which was purchased new is out of warranty but I still pay extra to take it to a g.m shop. Runs like new still.looks great..

Comments

herbertstemple: +1, scares the piss out of big dick.

Load Metric
    Today, 07:23 PM
    thesparten
    Contributor
    This message is hidden because thesparten is on your ignore list.
    View Post
    Remove user from ignore list
    View Post

Thank god for this feature

Comments

herbertstemple: neg 1, fears thesparten.

Thread Information